Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help. Our 2009 wrangler won't start. Turn the key, all the lights in the dash come on and it does all the regular beeps but when you try to start it nothing happens. The first time it did this I messed with the battery cables and checked the fuses and for some reason it started. I drove a little ways and every light in the dash came on and a warning beep started. Auto Zones computer thing wouldn't get a reading so he said it was probably the main computer. He shut it off and then it wouldn't start. He removed and put back on the battery cables and still nothing. Another guy tried starting it and did some sort of process with the key and it started. It ran and started perfectly the rest of the day. The next day it wouldn't attempt to start. After messing with the cables again it wound up starting. But since then I can't get it to start. I removed the cables, tried jumping it. But nothing. I even bought a new battery because I read on here about similar systems and this solved that problem but I'm still not able to start it. What else can I try? Thanks

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
What else can I try? Thanks
Just a shot in the dark, but could be an issue with the chip in the key for the sentry system. Have you tried both keys?

·
The Bad Guy
23,119 Posts
If it's the original battery you are way past time for a replacement. The stock batteries have a notorious short life span.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have this problem everyday. Try pushing forward hard in the shifter while turning the key , I need to do this every time is start mine. I either have to cycle the shifter bac and forth a few time or put hard pressure fiward in shifter while turning key. It's caused by as with in the trans Hope that helps

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
You say you swapped in a new battery and it 'solved it', but that it would not start. I am stumped and need more info.

Bob K.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Did you clean your battery terminals? Are the battery cables in good shape and do you have solid connectivity in both ground and positive terminals on BOTH ends? Check for corrosion. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I read on here that it solved someone else's problem but not mine. Also I just bought this 2009, used a year ago and only have the one key

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry. The new battery solved someone else's problem but not mine. Tried pushing the gear shift up hard and turning the key but that didn't work either.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I read on here that it solved someone else's problem but not mine. Also I just bought this 2009, used a year ago and only have the one key
You could pop open the key and see if replacing the battery helps? If it's a manual trans, can you push start it?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have another guy coming over with his computer thing to see if it will diagnose what is going on. So far I been told it might be the battery, the main computer, battery cables, the key, the anti-theft device, the gear shift, the radio, etc. I can hardly believe all these things can make a jeep not start. I remember when I could actually crawl under the hood, get inside and sit beside the motor to work on it. Now with all the crap they put in there I can barely see the motor, let alone crawling in beside it. Aren't these advances wonderful.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
What do you mean by codes?
Probably error codes from a diagnostic computer that the dealer techs have.

The sentry key system is designed to immobilize the Jeep unless a valid key is present. A malfunctioning key will disable the Jeep completely as the system will think it's a theft attempt.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Not even a click? Then it is either the battery, the connections for it, or the starter. There is a run fuse that will kill it as well.

Bob K.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
On my 2010, I had a broken wire from the PICM to the starter solenoid. Acted just like you say yours is acting. JEEP tech figured it out and ran a new wire and voila.........it works like it is supposed to.... turn key and starter goes.But it did take a while for him to figure it out tho.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I put a new battery in and the connections are clean but still nothing. If I hold the gear shift I can feel a click but it won't try to turn over at all.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts