Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of putting my 1.25 inch body lift on. Directions say to take out the steering shaft carrier bearing bolts out that hold it to the frame. I got the side one out but that top one won't move! Any tricks? Not much room to play with. Yes I sprayed it

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Never messed with the steering shaft when i did mine. Didn't have to.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Are you talking about the transfer case linkage bolts on the drivers side tunnel? If so, they are notorious for spinning and you may need to hold the bushing underneath with visegrips to remove.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's the zone 4.25 combo lift. It comes with some kind of Bracket to go back in there. And no this is directly under the steering shaft. I ended up getting it. But those bolts in the drivers side floor were hard to get. We ended up cuttin one off.

·
Registered
296 Posts
wethington2011 said:
It's the zone 4.25 combo lift. It comes with some kind of Bracket to go back in there. And no this is directly under the steering shaft. I ended up getting it. But those bolts in the drivers side floor were hard to get. We ended up cuttin one off.
PM me if you run into anymore snags, just put the same lift on a month ago, I'd be glad to help if I can..

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
yeah, I've installed that same lift and I don't remember ever messing with steering. The only things up front that we had to do was one body mount and the grill supports.

·
Registered
296 Posts
BLK00TJ said:
yeah, I've installed that same lift and I don't remember ever messing with steering. The only things up front that we had to do was one body mount and the grill supports.

Text Black-and-white Stock photography Organism Monochrome photography

Auto part Vehicle Car

That's what he was referring to, adding a spacer to steering carrier bearing..I did it on mine but luckily that part gave me no trouble.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
BLK00TJ said:
That new since I did a friends back in July. I see the shout that out on the website now. My JKS didn't use one either. I wonder if there's any real reason for it.
Oh jeez..if you haven't had any problems with yours yet, I'll be waiting for mine to crap out on me now..hahaha

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Oh jeez..if you haven't had any problems with yours yet, I'll be waiting for mine to crap out on me now..hahaha
Mine has been fine for about 18 months now. I'll check later to see if JKS added that into their kit.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I wonder of that is the cause of my knocking noise when I steer????

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
I just checked JKS, they still don't use them. Strange.

Bill, your Jeep is just possessed. How'd that fluid change go?

·
Registered
727 Posts
It went well. Radiator was the most difficult an I am still slowly topping it off. Diffs and TC were easy peezy.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Just wanted to bump this thread - I am in the exact same position as wethington. I cannot get the bolts to loosen on the carrier. I have an 02 TJ - is it really not required to install the spacer?

If I dont need the spacer it would save me a whole lot of trouble.

Thanks

·
Registered
183 Posts
I did the Zone 1.25 body lift of my 2005 about a month ago and I had decided to NOT to do this step as I also could not get the bolts out. I'm not sure why it is in the kit. Other kits do not have it. I hope it does not cause premature steering failure. Maybe it is to change the angle of the shaft to the steering box. At this point I have no problems to report though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts