Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a used 2005 Willys edition with 66000 miles on it. Previous owner took very good care of her. Interior is clean and exterior is nice as well. Typical minor surface rust in spots around rear bumper and undercarriage. Runs and sound great. Anything I should do to preserve and protect it? Anything that is a must when buying an older jeep? Thanks all!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Under coat it. I personally use used motor oil through a spray gun and a good wash and a thick coat of wax should do the trick

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Besides all the normal car care things, fluid changes, tire pressure/rotation, etc etc,, you mentioned some surface rust.,,, I chase that surface rust away using a fine grit sponge sander, then rattle can it with automotive primer, and then satin black. If the surface rust is in corners where those sponge sanders can't reach I'll use the appropriate size wire brush on my dremel tool, or the larger air tool.. Every spring I inspect and service as needed..

·
Commercial Member
831 Posts
Under coat it. I personally use used motor oil through a spray gun and a good wash and a thick coat of wax should do the trick
You mentioned motor oil. I had someone tell me about using diesel oil (fuel) once before and I have always been intrigued by that idea.
He said he put it in a pump sprayer and coated once a year with good results.
I would like to hear any feedback thoughts on this..

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok to spray undercarriage down with wd40 or another inhibiter? Cant afford a ziebart type service

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
1,,,diesel only lasts as long as your undercarriage stays dry. It washes out easily with any water. 2,,, diesel will penetrate into places that you dont want it, it is just messy, 3,,, diesel, over a short period of time, will destroy anything made of rubber. What do you mean by undercarriage? frame and drivetrain components, or bottom body panels and fender wells? If you coat something that is rust laden even using the best coatings, it will rust under the coating eventually, gotta get rid of the rust first, then coat. Maybe I'm not understanding your dilemma? Ziebart in my humble opinion is garbage,,, You can by stuff just as good at autozone, and diy..

·
Registered
134 Posts
Bought a used 2005 Willys edition with 66000 miles on it. Previous owner took very good care of her. Interior is clean and exterior is nice as well. Typical minor surface rust in spots around rear bumper and undercarriage. Runs and sound great. Anything I should do to preserve and protect it? Anything that is a must when buying an older jeep? Thanks all!!
Yes, you should take a picture and post it......just sayin.....it would be nice...:thumb:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts