Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 89 yj that i just bought, it came with a 4.2 and 3 spd automatic transmission.
Here's the kicker tho, it also came with a fuel injected 4.0 & auto transmission, the seller claims it's out of a 96 cherokee, but after looking up the numbers stamped into the block, google tells me it's a 91-95? Is there a way to tell exactly and how hard of a swap is it gonna be? Thanks in advance for any information.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
Its very possible to be a 95 motor in a 96 vehicle.

The swap isnt going to be easy, but it is definately possible. You will need the computer and wiring harness for the motor. Is the 4.0 complete? all the parts on the front of the motor...i.e. alternator, power steering pump, arent compatible from 1 motor to the other.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its almost complete, its missing the water pump and thermostat housing, but came with a new wrangler water pump. Sorry i forgot to mention in my other post that it came with all the computer and harness from donor vehicle.
A buddy of mine suggests just swapping the intakes, says then if still have the torque of the 4.2 but be fuel injected?? Is this even possible?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts