Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 jeep wrangler sport 6 speed . I want to put a 5 speed in its place because I'm tired of the 6 and its problems . Could someone tell me if this is doable . And whatI need to make it happen . Thank you vey much for your time . Ps. If done what will it do to Rpms . Over all workablity ..

·
Registered
955 Posts
I couldn't imagine it would be too hard; the 4.0 bolts up to both. The NSG370 you have and the NV3550 or ax-15 are all similar platforms. And you aren't converting from an automatic so that's another headache cut out.
The only thing I can additionally think is different lines routing from the master to the slave cylinder. Possibly different driveshafts due to the different lengths in transmissions but if they're similar then you can probably get away with your drive shafts. You may need new transmission mounts and a skid plate depending on which 5 speed you choose.

Out of curiosity; why are you wanting to ditch the 6 speed? What issues are you having with it? A lot of jeepers, myself included, covet the 6 speed due to it's overdrive gear. I'd be interested in taking it off your hands if you want to get rid of it.

·
Registered
13,757 Posts
The issue is 05-06 use a different flywheel with different crank sensor but novak or advance adapters make a bell that will accept and properly locate the 05-06 crank sensor with the 05-06 flywheel

With that is is pretty straight forward unless you are using a XJ 5 speed as then you need to drill new holes to properly clock the transfer case

As to what is wrong with 6 speed
1) weaker then either 5 speed and more failure prone
2) overly complex shift mechanism that tends to pop out of gear
3) much more expensive to find any parts as it is german
4) out of production and many parts not available
5) less overdrive than either 4.0 5SPd
6) only used in 05-06 TJ 4.0 so very difficulty to find a working used one but that may be a plus

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you very much for your time . It will be this summer whenI do the swap . I'll keep this thread and see no problem with you having the 6 speed .. we can work that out . There's only 81 thousand miles on it .. the reasonI do not like it is because from first to second is a night mare and going to reverse sucks to . Now this all could be me . But I've driven stick for years ... Just got the jeep the end of 16

1 - 4 of 4 Posts