Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, this is my first post, hope im doing it right. I have a 2003 sahara, and im having several issues, first the transmission is not shifting right, it would tach up ok from first to second, and then just go through the rest of the gears almost immediately and end up lugging in overdrive. I changed the filter not long ago and there was a good amount of very fine metal flake in the pan, I didn't dump the torque converter, it improved for a while, now the problem im having is that on the interstate the cruise will not maintain speed, it will slow down by 3 or 4 mph as soon as the cruise is set, then it automatically downshifts to regain speed, but it will never shift back into overdrive. Next issue: I seem to be having an intermittent vacuum issue, sometimes the ac controls wont switch properly, at times they work perfectly, ive searched and searched and cant find a leak anywhere, used a stethoscope, starting fluid etc. it seems like when I am having the cruise issue, the ac controls don't function. also in trying to research the problem, I ran across some threads about adjusting the 'transmission kickdown cable", only to find that I don't have one, the brackets are there but no cable, I havnt looked to see if its fallen down by the transmission yet, my question on that is did the 2003 tj's utilize this cable? and if so could this be the problem? This is my 5th jeep, I never had one problem with any of them, and im hoping I can get this one worked out. any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,898 Posts
This doesn't sound like a vacuum issue. It sounds like more of a sensor issue. Check the grounds, wires, terminals, connectors, circuits and sensors. Also, what is the condition of the battery, how old, battery terminals, cables, and connections. Is the alternator putting out correct current? I am not well versed on Jeep Automatics, so probably Jerry would be the one to ask for help.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Hello everyone, this is my first post, hope im doing it right. I have a 2003 sahara, and im having several issues, first the transmission is not shifting right, it would tach up ok from first to second, and then just go through the rest of the gears almost immediately and end up lugging in overdrive. I changed the filter not long ago and there was a good amount of very fine metal flake in the pan, I didn't dump the torque converter, it improved for a while, now the problem im having is that on the interstate the cruise will not maintain speed, it will slow down by 3 or 4 mph as soon as the cruise is set, then it automatically downshifts to regain speed, but it will never shift back into overdrive.
Any chance you are over geared? What are gearing and size tires you running?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Here's this engineer's personal method of determining axle ratio accurately.
1 block front wheels securely and jack up only one rear wheel. Put Xcase into neutral.
2. Put a piece of masking tape around the driveshaft and another completely around the tire.
3. Make a mark mark on the driveshaft tape that lines up with something fairly accurately. Put something near the tape on the tire as a pointer and make a mark on that tape as the start point.
4. Rotate the wheel so the driveshaft turns exactly one revolution.
5. Make a mark on the tape next to the pointer you had set up earlier. Also mark an arrow so you know which section of tape is the one that passed the pointer.
6. Cut the tire tape exactly at the start point and lay the tape straight on the floor.
7. Divide the whole length by the short (traveled) length on the tape and multiply by 2. This is your ratio.
Note: if you have Positraction, jack up both rear wheels and don't multiply by 2.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,374 Posts
Hey thanks for responding. 33's,and whatever stock gears came in it, I'll have to check it out.
His TJ came with 3.73, we're now talking via PM. I just recommended 5.13 gearing for his 33" tire size and 42RLE automatic transmission, with absolutely nothing less than 4.88... but 5.13 would be ideal to get the highway rpms up just enough so the engine isn't lugging as it is now with his present gearing.

·
Registered
57 Posts
His TJ came with 3.73, we're now talking via PM. I just recommended 5.13 gearing for his 33" tire size and 42RLE automatic transmission, with absolutely nothing less than 4.88... but 5.13 would be ideal to get the highway rpms up just enough so the engine isn't lugging as it is now with his present gearing.
Jerry, I'm running 4.0L, 42RLE, 33" with 3.73 today, and am planning on going with 5.13s myself. I have absolutely no doubt it will vastly improve highway, but kind of like my 3.73s in 4 low on the trail today and wonder how going to 5.13s affects that combo for the low speed off road trail work. In my case I'm at 50/50 daily driver/trail machine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here's this engineer's personal method of determining axle ratio accurately.
1 block front wheels securely and jack up only one rear wheel. Put Xcase into neutral.
2. Put a piece of masking tape around the driveshaft and another completely around the tire.
3. Make a mark mark on the driveshaft tape that lines up with something fairly accurately. Put something near the tape on the tire as a pointer and make a mark on that tape as the start point.
4. Rotate the wheel so the driveshaft turns exactly one revolution.
5. Make a mark on the tape next to the pointer you had set up earlier. Also mark an arrow so you know which section of tape is the one that passed the pointer.
6. Cut the tire tape exactly at the start point and lay the tape straight on the floor.
7. Divide the whole length by the short (traveled) length on the tape and multiply by 2. This is your ratio.
Note: if you have Positraction, jack up both rear wheels and don't multiply by 2.
Converting from 3.73 to 5.13 will make your Jeep better and more powerful offroad with an even better lower crawling speed ability when you're in 4Lo.
Cool, definitely gonna check into it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts