Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i have a question i just bought me a1990 islander and it didn't have the 4x4 hooked up l it the guy told me I just needed to run a vacuum hose to the actuator that's by the passenger side is that it or is there more I'm very brand new to jeeps and working on cars i own a 1990 4.2l v6

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
there is more to it than just 1 vacuum hose..there are several write ups and diagrams on here for the vacuum hoses,switches,etc.....just so you know,your 4.2 is not a v6

·
Registered
958 Posts
Yeah. There are 4 vac lines that all need to be hooked up. Check the rubber plug at the transfer case actuator. Should see 4 diff colored plastic lines. Believe it's a red one that goes to the fork up front. But honestly you're better off just putting in a posi lock and getting rid of the crappy vac system.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
that may in fact be the best fix. I buy a lot of yj's that the 4x4 is not operating.I always just repair them.the biggest problem that I find is a bad vacuum switch on the transfer case but sometimes it is a leaking hose or the hoses connected wrong.Once I repair them I have had good luck with the stock system and it is almost always a lot cheaper for me to repair than to swap it over to posi lock

·
Registered
925 Posts
that may in fact be the best fix. I buy a lot of yj's that the 4x4 is not operating.I always just repair them.the biggest problem that I find is a bad vacuum switch on the transfer case but sometimes it is a leaking hose or the hoses connected wrong.Once I repair them I have had good luck with the stock system and it is almost always a lot cheaper for me to repair than to swap it over to posi lock
That's something I hadn't considered. I agree that if you have the inclination and desire to diagnose vacuum issues and are willing to track down the gremlins to make it functional again it's much cheaper to repair the vac system.

The big reason I like posi lok is it's one less time bomb I feel I have in the HEEP.

·
Registered
504 Posts
i have to agree with harley, he helped me get mine back working and i had one vac line cracked and my vacuum switch on my transfer case was bad. Total cost was 15.00. Nice to have help here if you get stuck on something.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Yeap and nothing more, I love mine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts