Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am really looking into doing the 6.4L hemi swap in my 2014 manual wrangler sport. I am currently sitting on 35"s with a 3.5" lift and prepping for some new crate axles and driveshafts and I am primarily off road in the mud and sometimes on the rocks. I am not looking into throwing down 32k+ on a conversion and have been looking at super chargers instead. Anybody have opinions on this? Let it begin!

image-1830328771.jpg

·
Registered
174 Posts
Only you can make that decision. But I would do the LS swap. The guy in Vegas that does lots of them gets about 20k.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LS swap is a LOT less expensive. Fewer known issues compared to the Hemi.
From what I have read, they only use automatic transmissions for the LS swap. I would like to keep my standard trans. I mean, if I have to swap so be it I just don't want to.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not too sure about a supercharger mainly for that damn whistle. I understand how it works but it's annoying. Also, I would need to fabricate some type of enclosed case for the intake for a snorkel. I am moving to Idaho and it looks like I am going to be doing a bit more wheeling than I do in Italy.

·
Registered
456 Posts
If you are in a pollution controlled state, then you probably can't put a blower on the V8 or even modify the stock NA tune for that matter.

but yeah, a blown V8 would be wicked fun - no question:
https://youtu.be/CXMCAzlKTu0

If you have a manual transmission then doing a v8 in a pollution controlled state is next to impossible. Some shops claim to be able to do it but even they say it is iffy. I called the CARB support number and they confirmed the rules around why a manual won't fly - at least in California. The problem is finding an appropriate donor vehicle with a manual transmission.

IMHO, I like the edelbrock blower on my pentastar and it runs well with a custom tune, intake and exhaust. No regrets. Even though this blower kit puts the power down low in the power band, you still have to mash the pedal to close the bypass valve and access it. You won't get any boost driving like a granny. For example, I can drive my kids to school and not log any boost - and that includes a hill.

I think a big v8 with power down low will be better still, especially since the power may be more concentrated down low and without having to mash the throttle.

While I have registered over 9.5psi with this kit, it is not until you hit the redline, the millisecond before pull your foot out of the throttle.

·
Registered
70 Posts
What about the new 5.0 Coyote motor from Ford. Car motor is 430 hp and 400 tq. I had one in a 2012 Mustang and it was one impressive, fun motor. The one in the F150 may have more torque. I would think you would want more torque than horsepower for what your going to do.
Just my opinion...

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I am currently sitting on 35"s...
Some important things that matter before deciding on what type of big power mod will meet your needs:

* Why do you want more power? In what kinds of situations do you feel that you are lacking power?

* Have you re-geared your axles with a good match for your tire size?

* Since you drive a manual transmission, consider paying attention to your shifting "style". Are you trying to drive your Jeep like it has a big torquey V8, keeping RPMs low, and then getting disappointed at the low RPM performance? The Pentastar is a fairly high-revving engine, and torque below 2000 rpm is kinda weak. Experiment with changing your shifting style to rev the engine higher before shifting, and downshift more when you want to accelerate quickly. Don't be afraid to run it up to 6400 rpm at full throttle when you really want to accelerate.

* Similarly for off-road driving, are you keeping RPMs low and disappointed by the performance? Try making use of 4LO and low transmission gears when driving slowly off road, keeping RPMs above 2000 in the mid-range whenever you are in a situation that may require throttle response and torque. If you are often in situations where 4LO in 1st gear still has you lugging below 2000 rpm with inadequate torque/power, then consider whether you should go with numerically higher gears in the axles, or maybe you need the 4:1 Rubicon transfer case.

Just some ideas that might help you enjoy your Jeep more at much lower cost than a V8 swap or supercharger. My opinion is that making use of gears for torque multiplication is the best way to improve off-road performance, and bolt-on supercharger/turbo kits are more for improving on-road performance (acceleration onto freeways, passing, etc).

I'm not too sure about a supercharger mainly for that damn whistle.
Turbos make some pretty fun noises when getting on the throttle, but stay nice and quiet when driving gently :) I really need to get video of how mine sounds with its current setup. Here's what the Garrett turbo sounds like with the stage 2 kit (with blow-off valve) while drifting in the snow. I now have a Precision turbo that has a different sound to it (and spools more quickly than the Garrett).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kfYyeRwRSI

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Some important things that matter before deciding on what type of big power mod will meet your needs: * Why do you want more power? In what kinds of situations do you feel that you are lacking power? * Have you re-geared your axles with a good match for your tire size? * Since you drive a manual transmission, consider paying attention to your shifting "style". Are you trying to drive your Jeep like it has a big torquey V8, keeping RPMs low, and then getting disappointed at the low RPM performance? The Pentastar is a fairly high-revving engine, and torque below 2000 rpm is kinda weak. Experiment with changing your shifting style to rev the engine higher before shifting, and downshift more when you want to accelerate quickly. Don't be afraid to run it up to 6400 rpm at full throttle when you really want to accelerate. * Similarly for off-road driving, are you keeping RPMs low and disappointed by the performance? Try making use of 4LO and low transmission gears when driving slowly off road, keeping RPMs above 2000 in the mid-range whenever you are in a situation that may require throttle response and torque. If you are often in situations where 4LO in 1st gear still has you lugging below 2000 rpm with inadequate torque/power, then consider whether you should go with numerically higher gears in the axles, or maybe you need the 4:1 Rubicon transfer case. Just some ideas that might help you enjoy your Jeep more at much lower cost than a V8 swap or supercharger. My opinion is that making use of gears for torque multiplication is the best way to improve off-road performance, and bolt-on supercharger/turbo kits are more for improving on-road performance (acceleration onto freeways, passing, etc). Turbos make some pretty fun noises when getting on the throttle, but stay nice and quiet when driving gently :) I really need to get video of how mine sounds with its current setup. Here's what the Garrett turbo sounds like with the stage 2 kit (with blow-off valve) while drifting in the snow. I now have a Precision turbo that has a different sound to it (and spools more quickly than the Garrett). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kfYyeRwRSI
I am currently looking at regearing or getting a whole crate axle assembly. As it sits now, on road driving, it's a struggle getting up to highway speeds. Acceleration is bogged down way too much. I need more power as well as torque for the juicy mud pits that await me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts