Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning everyone!

Was hoping to get a little clarity on this problem. On Friday I drove my jeep into the garage, running fine. Over the weekend I took the interior our (Seats, Console, etc) but didn't touch a single wire connection. Except of course for the connection under the driver's seat.

I herculined the entire floorpan, and then put everything back in.

I went to move it out of the garage, and nothing!

No light, no clicking, doesn't even try to turn over. Not a single sound is emitted when I turn the key over.

Took the battery connections off, cleaned them and replaced them. No change.

Any ideas? Any thoughts wold be appreciated.

p.s. I opened the fuse boxes, but nothing seems popped. Grounds from the battery terminal haven't changed position, and seem to be connected fine.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Have you tested your battery voltage, power under load, etc?

The wire underneath your seat is for the seatbelt indicator and would not have an effect on your starting systems.

Start by ruling out the battery with tests and take it from there.

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
Test the battery with a simple volt meter and see what the voltage is in the battery. You may have simply just run the battery down.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Do like some have suggested by voltmeter testing the battery or/and charge the battery overnight. If you removed the doors to paint the interior, you must remove fuse #4 to disengage the interior lights or you will drain the battery.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Dome light left on over night/weekend = dead battery.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I totally left the doors off for the weekend and removed no fuses. Maybe that's it? Will also double-check the voltage on the battery. Thanks you guys, will update.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Don't the lights automaticly turn turn off after like 5-10mintues? Whenever I was working on my jeep and had the doors open the lights would turn off by itself after awhile, regardless of the doors still being open.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Don't the lights automaticly turn turn off after like 5-10mintues? Whenever I was working on my jeep and had the doors open the lights would turn off by itself after awhile, regardless of the doors still being open.
My 99 doesn't have this feature... What year is yours?

·
Registered
941 Posts
Yes the lights turn off after 20 minutes. I have an '03 and mine does this. It might have been a feature added with the change in 02/03.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Yes the lights turn off after 20 minutes. I have an '03 and mine does this. It might have been a feature added with the change in 02/03.
Possibly, mines an 04

·
Registered
103 Posts
Look at the bigger, square top fuses under the hood in same area with relays. I had the starter one blow one time messing around under the dash. I think the antenna flopping by the fuse panel under dash had something to do with it.
The fuse on mine killed everything, turning key did nothing. $6.00 fuse later all is fine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
01 shuts off after a little while, except while driving. Make sure to pull #4, but also remember it turns off headlight indicator

·
Registered
845 Posts
Look at the bigger, square top fuses under the hood in same area with relays. I had the starter one blow one time messing around under the dash. I think the antenna flopping by the fuse panel under dash had something to do with it.
The fuse on mine killed everything, turning key did nothing. $6.00 fuse later all is fine.
Now that i think about it this happened to me as well-

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
UPDATE:

Hey everyone!

It was totally the doors. I have a 1999. I put the doors back on and jumped it. Fired right up, let it sit off for a while...fired right back up.

Now I know! Bonus - I learned that the cable under the driver's seat is your seatbelt indicator/annoying buzzer annihilator.

Thank you so much for all your help!

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Still think it was the dome light (and not the doors) that drained battery. The lack of doors caused it to stay on. lol

1 - 20 of 25 Posts