Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been prepping my jeep tub for herculiner for a few days now and I was wondering what you guys think about the front if you think it is ready to be rolled on

Attachments

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
got a little more taping off to do? shifters/e-brake? :D

....how did you sand it? By hand? power tool?

·
Registered
14,065 Posts
I would remove the wiring harness before you start and tape all the shifters, brake, pedals and bolts. Did you remove the seat belts? Looks like you need to clean it with MEK or similar. I didn't like the roller the brush worked better. Be shure to mix the can very well.

·
Registered
14,065 Posts
Menards

yes its nasty but it works. if you don't like it mineral spirits or alcohol will work but takes longer.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I still going to clean it with acetone. But the seat belt torx screws are stripped so I cant take them out. Should I paint those few spots on the driver and passanger floor boards that are bare metal or should I just herculine over them? I used sand paper to sand the tub. Thanks alot guys for imput

·
Registered
14,065 Posts
Are you shure they are stripped? The factory uses self tapping torx bolts for the seatbelts and bumpers. They are installed using an impact. They come out very hard the entire way. I have seen many give up and think they were stripped because of how hard they turn. I always replace them with button head screws. they work much better.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I found it easier to just take off the shifter boot. Made it much cleaner around there when finished

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
can i just use acetone instead of MEK? also what about those spots i got baremetal can i herculine over them or should I paint them first?

·
Registered
14,065 Posts
Yes acetone will work but it takes more of it and will take longer to cleqn up. I would use a rattle can primer over the bare metal areas but that is just me.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Soak a rag and rub it in. Then wipe up any extra with a clean dry rag. Make sure you scuff all the corners, dips, ridges well. That is the first places the Heculiner will lift. I vacuumed the tub out first, then blew it out, then wiped it down with Xylene. Herculiner recommends Acetone, Xylene, or MEK. Remove your bolts and roll up tape and stick in the holes. Better than rolled up tape are foam ear plugs in the holes. Remember to stir the can every few minutes or the crumbs will settle out. Here's what mine looked like after sanding and wipe down. Hope this helps.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts