Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Download an app called llama form the Google play store. It can automatically activate bluetooth when you leave your house or work (based on your location). Works great!

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
That's what notification-bar toggles are for... too easy. But, thank you anyways!

Now, if you can figure out how to get rid of the delayed app command response when streaming Bluetooth audio (such as hitting pause on the phone app, but it waits two seconds to pause the music), or perhaps get rid of the actual delayed audio when trying to stream the audio via Bluetooth while watching a video, THAT would be righteous! ;)

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah, but the car dock and toggles require some action on your part. I just leave my phone in my pocket and can make and receive phone calls without ever touching the phone (I don't use it for music). Plus I don't have remember to do anything. I know it's not a big deal to activate it....I just like the convenience.
The app can also silence your phone at work (location based) or at night (time based). it will allow predetermined callers to ring at full volume so I have my wife and parents set up to ring full volume at night. Everyone else gets the silent treatment. I'm still playing around with it. i think it will require a lot of tweaking, but it seems pretty useful.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Ah, but the car dock and toggles require some action on your part. I just leave my phone in my pocket and can make and receive phone calls without ever touching the phone (I don't use it for music). Plus I don't have remember to do anything. I know it's not a big deal to activate it....I just like the convenience.
The app can also silence your phone at work (location based) or at night (time based). it will allow predetermined callers to ring at full volume so I have my wife and parents set up to ring full volume at night. Everyone else gets the silent treatment. I'm still playing around with it. i think it will require a lot of tweaking, but it seems pretty useful.
I just leave BT on my phone active at all times. My phone auto connects to my Jeep when I turn the engine on. Not sure why you would need an app to toggle BT.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Nice...thanks. :thumb:

I added a couple widgets to quickly toggle wifi off and bluetooth on when I leave home...and reverse it later...but this is easier. I also limit my screen brightness and leave GPS off and find that I can get more than a day out of my GS3 battery now.

Now if it just had some way to know when I got in and out of my Jeep. :)

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
See, I use the pandora every time. That would kill my phone.
How? If you are running pandora in your car via your phone -- don't you need BT turned on?

·
Registered
205 Posts
I just leave BT on my phone active at all times. My phone auto connects to my Jeep when I turn the engine on. Not sure why you would need an app to toggle BT.
Turning off BT saves battery. Also, not everyone can have BT/WiFi on at work, so an app to turn it off when you're within a certain area (near work) is great...for those people. You could use it to turn on WiFi when you are home or near a known WiFi hotspot (i.e. your favorite Starbucks), too. That would make your home phone-web surfing faster (and supposedly saves your battery), if you use your phone at home for that. :)

·
Registered
860 Posts
But then you have to run GPS all the time, right? Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of saving battery?

No, it can base location on cell towers.

That said, I have tried it for a day and am not loving it. I setup events for "leave home" and "arrive home"...and they didn't seem to fire off until I turned the phone screen on. I drove away from my house for 15 mins...and nada. No Bluetooth activated. I then turned on the phone screen and then the event seem to fire...and my Bluetooth was then active.

If that's the way it works, it has far less value to me. I need to test more I suppose.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Turning off BT saves battery. Also, not everyone can have BT/WiFi on at work, so an app to turn it off when you're within a certain area (near work) is great...for those people. You could use it to turn on WiFi when you are home or near a known WiFi hotspot (i.e. your favorite Starbucks), too. That would make your home phone-web surfing faster (and supposedly saves your battery), if you use your phone at home for that. :)
To have an app that runs constantly in the background to toggle BT/Wifi based on location(doesn't allow your phone to "sleep") in order to save battery seems a little self defeating, IMHO.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
I'm at a loss here.
Everyone here has connectivity...right? That means you have a USB port....right?

Why not plug your phone into the USB port to recharge while you drive? I tend to keep my GPS off as well to save battery power. But if I am heading someplace new where I would actually need GPS, or would be in the Jeep long enough to worry about bluetooth draining power....I would plug it in.

The USB port was one of the main reasons why I got Connectivity (and passed on Nav). I figured a USB port won't get hot like a USB adapter can.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
You can charge it with a normal car dock or adapter, so I don't see the point of using USB. The issue with this app is that it prevents your phone from entering what is referred to as "deep sleep" mode (think: everything except the cell radio is off).

By completely preventing deep sleep AND running GPS non-stop while you're not in your car, there's simply no way your phone will make it through the day (unless you have a Razr Maxx), and even charging it in your car infrequently throughout the day will barely keep up with the drain.

That said, the app is a cool concept...

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
I'm not a big fan of using adapters in the standard 12V power outlet....I've seen (felt) them get really hot....so I just don't trust them (unless you pull the adapter all the way out of the socket). That was the reason why I mentioned the USB port. As far as software goes, I don't want anything that will run GPS non-stop. My battery would be dead by noon.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
As mentioned previously, it doesn't use GPS. It uses cell towers.

I guess it depends on your needs and how you use your phone. I haven't had a problem with battery life, but if you use your phone a lot and need maximum battery life, I could see this being a problem. Just thought it was a cool app.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Yes, but when using towers, it does not seem very reliable. I let it find cell towers near my house for 8 hours. Thus, I thought that I was good...but while sitting in my house today, I saw it decide that I left home and it changed my profile.

Nice idea, but uninstalled.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts