Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently bought a 2014 JKU Sport. Got a really good deal on it. Test drove the hell out of it (Portland Oregon to Bend Oregon). The agreement was, if I was not happy after 3 hours of driving, I could bring it back the same day. I took that deal. Everything was awesome. Ran like a dream! One day I was driving down the road. The Jeep lurched,started running really rough and the engine light came on. By luck, I was very near my mechanic. Took it to him. He did a quick diagnostic in the parking lot and said I had a miss on #4. He said, dont drive it and bring it back monday for full diag. Come Monday, he calls me in. Mechanical valve problem. Long story short, PO did a home spun valve job on only one side. When it went bad it grenaded the whole top end. It looked like glitter EVERYWHERE I could see! My choice was to replace only the cylinder head, and sell it quickly before the bottom end goes, OR replace the entire engine. I chose to go with a zero mile OEM brand new engine w/ 5 year warranty. So now, I own this 2014 JKU. Excellent shape with a brand new engine. The mechanic who did the work said that he did not see any other glaring probs with the rig at all and that he would keep if it were him.
My questions to you fine folks is...#1 what would you do. Sell or keep. #2 if I sell it, does the engine swap hurt or help selling price. #3 with 52k on the Jeep and 0 on the motor, what would be a fair price? Help a brother out here if`n ya would!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One more P.S. I have a grand total, all in of 33k into my rig. I had previously done full ceramic brakes and rotors, a full a/c rebuild and an led lighting package, seat covers as well.

·
Premium Member
1,154 Posts
Did you buy it to enjoy or to flip for a profit? If the former, enjoy it with a better piece of mind. If the latter, you may be able to get a bit more than market price but it could also raise flags - what else could be wrong?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought it for fun/daily driver. My hope and plan was to keep it and build it out. Guess I am on my way, but I had not planned to invest quite that much into it.

·
Super Moderator
15,611 Posts
I bought it for fun/daily driver. My hope and plan was to keep it and build it out. Guess I am on my way, but I had not planned to invest quite that much into it.
Just go a little slower on the build out... Jeeps aren't turned like cars typically. Most of us keep a Jeep much longer than typical vehicle ownership.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
That's all sunk cost/water under the bridge.

Sounds like you've got a jeep you like with a brand new engine. No reason to sell if you can afford it. Only shame is you didn't take the opportunity to do an LS swap lol.

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
Having a New motor is like having a new Jeep. Enjoy it and have fun. Selling it to buy another could put you back in the same boat. Now at least you know what you have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
268 Posts
Keep and enjoy it. I'm not sure what the market would be for a used Jeep with a replacement engine, but I know I wouldn't be interested. It would make me wonder what the rest of the vehicle was maintained like. I know that isn't on you, but the first owner, however the next purchaser wouldn't know that.

·
Registered
169 Posts
has it been painted? i have a black jk as well but that side shot of yours the paint looks real hazy with lots of orange peel maybe just dust and lighting i could be wrong

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I'd keep it. No question about it.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Maybe I missed it, but why would you want to sell it? If you bought it with the intention of keeping it, investing a significant sum of money to install a new engine makes the decision to keep it a no brainer as you would likely take a hit when selling it. Also, a new engine should be very attractive to you as the current owner and I imagine a reason to keep rather than a reason to sell.

·
Registered
102 Posts
If you were going to sell it then you should've just done the repair. Get rid of it BEFORE spending all that money on a new engine. Keep it. No brainer really.

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
I think if you were going to dump the thing you wouldn't have gone with a brand new zero mile engine. That's a choice you make if you are in it for the long haul. Could have been easy to get a junkyard motor, swap, and send it on its way for I'm sure cheaper than the new. Enjoy your new fresh Jeep.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts