Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so after reading through the various water leaking threads on the JK. I found myself looking around the places that might be the source of the water leak and, I looked to see if water originated from the cowl area, and for me that wasn't the case, along with some of the other notorious areas.
In my case on my 2012 JKUR I found that my hard top seal was pinched, and after being pinched for so long it became deformed. Therefore water appears to be flowing and making its way inside all the way to the passenger side front carpet area. I noticed this when I compared it to the driver side where the area in the top left corner (with the small little hole) that allows for drainage is completely dry while the passenger side was soaked with water droplets hanging towards the interior.

I will definitely be replacing the hard top seal later this week, but I also noticed a water line running through the interior door sill panel on the passenger side. Should I check anywhere else on the passenger side for possible leaking locations, other than from the cowl area, and the windshield gasket, as those parts seem to be in good shape and are not causing the leak.

Sorry for the rant, this leak is somewhat frustrating, I know its a jeep (my TJ still has water leaks till this day) trying to stay away from them with my JK as it is my daily.

Any other tips will be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
395 Posts
I have the same issue in a 2011 JK. Passenger floor board always wet after rain. I took out the front seat, removed all the carpet down to metal. There are 4 rubber stops, or drain plugs, that when you remove them obviously you see the ground, exhaust, etc... they seemed to do their job. Removed the cowl, poured water into it, nothing, tried windshield - no leak. I tested for leaks with water, used a light to look for small gaps, etc... Nothing!

I checked this forum, googled, and youtubed it as well. I couldn't replicate the leak. I plan to keep on looking, it is VERY frustrating. :pcwhack:

There was some good descriptions and stories about passenger floor board leaks, but the odd part, fixes always seem to be different, thus it's not a simple across the board fix. Some guys have leaks from the freedom tops, others from windshields replaced (cracks from pebbles seem common), etc...

·
Registered
470 Posts
I noticed a wet area on my driver side. I also found the rear turn knobs on my freedom top were a bit loose. How tight do you snug them down? I did about 2 1/2 turns to sung them tight.

·
Registered
510 Posts
There is one that is not well documented, and the brain trust at Chrysler is not aware of it at all. It comes from the mucket seal on the front of the front door openings, about halfway down. The water runs down the door seal and comes in right around this mucket seal. If you have no other evidence of a water leak, except for water in your floor mats and a stream of water on the floor trim piece near the door opening, this may be it. This is how I fixed it:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/1...soft-top-anyone-else-988377.html#post15134817

Don't bother going to your dealer to get them to fix this. It's not in their magic TSB leak manual so they don't know what to do. Just keep weatherstripping until you find and fix it. I wasted way too much time and blood pressure trying to get stupid Chrysler to fix it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cool thanks! Will definitely give check if the Jeep still leaks after replacing the hard top seal.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Haven't really looked into it, but is it mostly hard tops that leak? I don't recall seeing many people say the same about soft tops. Mine doesn't leak and neither do my all of my friends (soft tops). I was considering buying the 3 piece hard top for next winter. But lately I haven't been so sure.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
My dealer has a "leak guy" that comes twice a week. I had one water leak and he fixed it on the first visit. Haven't had a leak since....knocking on wood!

Check with your dealer and see if they have the same.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Excellent write up on the mucket seal. I happen to have a rool of the foam tape from a truck bed cover. Gonna go slap some on there. Thanks.

·
Registered
395 Posts
The more contributions / posts the better. :) That's what's awesome about this forum.

I will try the mucket seal approach this a.m.

I feel obligated to warn everyone, I did purchase 2 cans of FLEX SEAL, and I'm dying to use it!!! :beerme:

(I really did. I plan to seal the 4 rubber drain plugs under the carpet, just incase its my issue. I'm taking steps 1 solution at a time, figuring, eventually I will find/correct it.)

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
if you need the mopar leak fix pdf i have it. its big so i cant email it but pm me your email and ill send you a link

·
Registered
395 Posts
In the words of Todd Hoffman from the Discovery channel show, GoldRush:

"Are you FREAKING KIDDING Me!!!"

Seriously, Thank you - this is awesome.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
In the words of Todd Hoffman from the Discovery channel show, GoldRush:

"Are you FREAKING KIDDING Me!!!"

Seriously, Thank you - this is awesome.
That is a great resource, but it's almost too much....too many areas to look at.

I still say if you are getting the water in the A pillar onto the front footwell carpet, the mucket seal is the problem.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey everyone so here is an update, I changed the damaged gasket that runs across the hard top where the freedom panels sit. Water still is getting in through the same spot. The mucket on the passenger side is still wet, and driver side is completely dry

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Anyone have idea why this is still from the B pillar bucket seals, I replaced the foam on both freedom panels, however, I am still having the same problem.
Any help is greatly appreciated

1 - 19 of 19 Posts