Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a 1991 Wrangler Islander. Has it's usual rust problems but is salvagable. I ordered parts and body working stuff so as soon as that stuff gets here I will be stripping her down and fixing the rust, patching holes and repainting her a different color. Haven't decided what color but I am leaning towards using monstaliner for the whole thing. Any suggestions would be helpful.

·
Supporting jeeper!
3,867 Posts
I've never been a fan of full lining the jeep. The inner tub yes. Fender flares and bumpers eh alright. But not whole thing. Especially since you got an islander. If you gave it a cool funky bright color and redid the graphics it would look AWESOME!

·
Supporting jeeper!
3,867 Posts
Zombiekiller said:
what else do you have in mind?
Just patch the rust spots over make the body all nice and just redo factory paint scheme but with a different base color! I loved the yj decal packages. I wouldn't remove/change them for the world. For the paint of course. Do any other mods you want. Line the inside for sure tho. I did my tj a couple months ago. Never thought twice about it. Love it

·
Supporting jeeper!
3,867 Posts
Zombiekiller said:
no- i was asking him, jinxed247, what else he had in mind.. lol
Oh haha. I didn't even notice the name difference. I just looked at your profile pic and saw a white jeep and assumed you were the same person :p my bad

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Oh haha. I didn't even notice the name difference. I just looked at your profile pic and saw a white jeep and assumed you were the same person :p my bad
no worries, haha i need a new profile pic... i took that one back before christmas... about 4 months before i owned the jeep... now it has a hardtop, mirrors, new seat covers, a back seat (as of next week), inside liner, and soon full doors :D

·
Registered
100 Posts
A guy in my neighborhood monster lined his jeep and honestly it doesn't look too cool...a friend of mine did his entire side panels on his H2 and that looks even worst. I added bedliner where the rockerpanels should be and that came out pretty cool.

·
Supporting jeeper!
3,867 Posts
Inked said:
A guy in my neighborhood monster lined his jeep and honestly it doesn't look too cool...a friend of mine did his entire side panels on his H2 and that looks even worst. I added bedliner where the rockerpanels should be and that came out pretty cool.
I agree. It's also 10373936 times harder to clean the dirt from because it's so gritty

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Right now I am up in the air on the paint....I want a more desert tan, my wife wants me to make it a charcoal grey...the reason I was interested in Monstalining the whole thing because this going to be more of a hunting rig and I have to go through alot of brush and trails that branches scratch the piss out of a vehicle.

I did order the chassis protector...I figure all of the paint in the world isin't going to help if my frame rusts out. Right now I am going to concentrate on fixing the frame and body. It runs really well and I love the straight six in it.

Anyways, I ordered the driverside and passenger side replacement floors that go up under the seats. I honestly shouldn't be driving the thing around because the seats would probably fly right out. and I doubt the seat belts would hold me in. Once the floors and the chassis protector get in I am going to strip out the tub and go to town. Scraping all of the rust off of the frame is going to be a pain but well worth it.

Like I said, this is my project jeep and I am very open to suggestions! Which reminds me....anyone know what size bolt holds the sway bar in the front in? Bolt snapped off (from the rust) and the PO hooked it up with wire rather than tapping out the other one and putting in a new one.

Thanks again for all of the input....keep it coming!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Were did you get the denatured alcohol? And how much did you need? That sounds like a good idea to take care of the rust. I went through the frame today with a hammer and tested it out. Thankfully it's a lot of surface rust and it looks like the PO had, at one time, put on some sort of cheap frame lining that chipped off. Also, most of the rot is just body that should (knock on wood) not be that hard to fix. I am hoping that I don't uncover some hidden problems when I start into this thing full bore.
I just got my tracking number for the floor pans from JC Whitney and am still waiting on the chassis protector.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
That's a tough call on paint. You have an Islander, and those are kind of hard to find. I personally would rather keep the entire Islander package, because they just don't make em' like that anymore.

The JK islander is a joke imo.

·
Supporting jeeper!
3,867 Posts
MikeMTJ said:
The JK islander is a joke imo.
Absolutely. So they throw one measly sticker on the hood saying islander and some blue stitched seats. That's not an islander. Please

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Now you all are starting to make me feel bad about repainting it without the decals! LOL. Like I said, I am still at a toss up with what I am going to do to it. Right now my main focus is body work and rust proofing.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts