Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone - you all have been helpful. I'm about to try to figure out my gauge light issue but I noticed something else. My wrangler hesitates at times on start up. It'll turnover about 2-3 times before it starts then idles really low, almost stalling. I give it some gas though and then it idles just fine. Looks to be around 850. I've gotten an oil change and changed the air filter. Could it be clogged fuel filter?

I've order the tune up kit from Quadratec (spark plugs, distributor, plug wires, fuel filter, etc.). Will changing out the things listed above hopefully fix that? Maybe use some fuel system cleaner?

Thanks!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Pull the injectors out and take them in to be cleaned. Its about an hour total. Realy easy. Try the tune up first though.

·
Registered
65 Posts
If it runs fine after start-up, I would think that the fuel pump might be losing it's prime and allowing the fuel to run back into the tank while the vehicle is off. It could be that you have a small leak in the line somewhere. Cleaning the injectors is a good idea though, when I got my 95, I just started replacing all the fuel, ignition, and brake system components a little at a time until everything was new...my thought process being most of this stuff is almost 20 years old, how good can it work? Plus I didn't know or trust whatever the previous owner did to it.:cool:

Wait a second...does an 87 have fuel injectors? I thought 2.5's were carbuerated until '92.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hey everyone - you all have been helpful. I'm about to try to figure out my gauge light issue but I noticed something else. My wrangler hesitates at times on start up. It'll turnover about 2-3 times before it starts then idles really low, almost stalling. I give it some gas though and then it idles just fine. Looks to be around 850. I've gotten an oil change and changed the air filter. Could it be clogged fuel filter?

I've order the tune up kit from Quadratec (spark plugs, distributor, plug wires, fuel filter, etc.). Will changing out the things listed above hopefully fix that? Maybe use some fuel system cleaner?

Thanks!
Sounds to me like your carburetor is clogging at the jets. Which carb is in yours?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts