Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my first Jeep and it seems to run pretty hot 210 or just above. What is the normal operating temp??? One of the guys on here said 210 was ok. My Jeep won't pass the clean air check here in Indiana and one of the things that the guy there said that makes vehicles fail is an overheated engine. Not sure... but still would like to know if I should be concerned with the 210+??? thanks

·
Registered
386 Posts
210 plus or minus 5 seems to be normal. If you are riding over 220 constantly then you might need to change your thermostat for a lower temp one.

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
yep 210 is normal. and engines that won't get to operating temp will fail emissions. the more heat the better it burns up the left over gas. what year is the jeep?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Makes me feel a little better. The Jeep is a 94 with a 2.5L and 5 speed manual trans. It doesn't have the greatest pickup but that could be because of the 31" tires??? It only has 71400 miles, do you still think it could need a new catalytic converter for emissions or any other suggestions? Thanks again. By the way this forum is pretty cool!

·
yes, I want some cheezy poofs
786 Posts
What's an emmision inspection?? lol Not an issue here. 210 is fine though I personally feel better at under 200, but 210 is normal for your jeep.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm in Valparaiso Indiana (Porter County) it is near Chicago. The clean air check thing is kind of a pain, especially since there are only like 5 counties in Indiana that require it. Also I did get her to pass the test today. Turns out the guy in michigan cut the cat converter off and put on a straight pipe. The clowns at the clean air check just assumed that there was one under the skid plate and never really checked. I found the straight pipe when I went under to change the oil today. $171 later and she passed with flying colors. I'm gonna turn her loose in the mud this weekend!!! Thanks again to all who responded. Have a good one!

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Hell, I am in bleading heart liberal Kalifornia and 210 does just fine for our smog police.:banghead:

·
Registered
2 Posts
What's an emmision inspection?? lol Not an issue here. 210 is fine though I personally feel better at under 200, but 210 is normal for your jeep.
X2... except I am not even sure why 210 would be a problem with emmissions?

If you're having trouble passing inspection run some seafoam and then a few days later go back to inspect, should be free and clear of all carbon then.

·
Registered
178 Posts
my temp gauge moves a lot when i drive. it will go up to 210 and then drop back down to 190 when the thermostat opens up, then it will go back up and so on

1 - 12 of 12 Posts