Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2004 jeep wrangler 4liter with straight 6. i have a ome lift kit , nice bumpers gas can holder , roof rack, sway bar disconects, bump stops, and high lift jack hood mount. tis the season and i want to treat myself... what would you say is the most important upgrade i do not have..

lockers?
extendable drive shafts?
dynamite?

·
Registered
8,238 Posts
I feel like a locker of some sort will be the best bang for your buck. It improves ability immensely and I'm saving for one myself. Or armor. I can't see the picture but rocker guards and an engine skid are always good insurance. What kind of terrain and how often do you wheel?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Add Ons

You can't go wrong with a decent gas tank skid, as it just hangs down waiting for a rock to smash the stock tin one. 33" tires are another idea. Also a winch(tow strap, snatch block) can get you out of a jam at times. The list can go on and on.:thumb:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wheel quite a bit and have gotten through crazy situations . I have a winch and snatch block . This might be weird but i enjoy using 31s no rub and keeps the jeep low yet with a lot of clearence . Lockers sound great. Now i need to know wich ones .... i want to go old school and get detroit front and back.... what would that do to driving on a freeway ?????

·
Registered
33 Posts
I would go Detroit rear and ARB up front. There are definite advantages to being able to run the front open while in 4 wheel drive. I have spools in both axles and my next project is trading the front to an ARB. Driving in ice and snow with a full time front locker makes the jeep harder to steer for sure. On the road doesn't matter much since you'll be in 2 wheel drive without the front engaged. Also keep in mind that a full time locker in the rear will make your tires chirp when turning (also speeding up tire wear), and can make it squirly to drive in rain or on slick surfaces

·
Registered
50 Posts
So living in southern ca i shud b fine with detroit front and back.

I highly recommend going with selectable lockers F&R if you daily drive the rig. I ran a Detroit in my 97 TJ in the rear and would never do it again. You could go with a hub conversion in front and run a Detroit but that would mean running a different bolt pattern which could get costly.

Can you run Detroits? Sure, but it's hard on the drivetrain and will wear on you.

·
Registered
33 Posts
That would likely be ok. Also kinda depends on if it is a daily driver or just a toy, you may get sick of the tire jump in the rear of you go full locker or spool. Like bbush said, for a daily driver its best to have selectable lockers so you can be easier on your drivetrain. Have any friends with lockers in their rigs? Test drive one if you do and see what you think. Being in cali, you shouldn't have snow or ice problems, but I would still go for a selectable in front and just use it when you need it, in most cases your rear axle will be doing most of the hard work.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.