Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I suspect it won't or we would have already heard about it. But looking at a diagram kjeeper10 posted, it sure looks like if we jacked up a Jeep from the frame and let the axle(s) hang, then compressed the spring, it looks like it would come out without disconnecting so much stuff.

But, as I said, I guess that won't work or we would have heard about it by now???

·
Registered
793 Posts
You really really do not need one.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
While I've used both methods in the past, a spring compressor will get your old springs out without having to drop the axle so far, but keep in mind how much more you will need to compress the new springs as they will be taller. this is the safety consideration... best to go ahead and lower the axle a bit more. You can be creative by placing a jack stand under the far side of the axle as an additional pivot point to just drop one side at a time.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
I use them all the time and you get lots of people saying they are dangerous and no good but a quality set of compressors properly applied work great and make changing a breeze. what I do is install the compressors with the springs under weight then when I put the vehicle on jack stands and start dropping the axle the springs stay compressed and are easily removed and installed back. Some compressors are too thick to work but many work great. Like anything you have to be careful but properly using quality compressors is no more dangerous then any other activity we do.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Spring compressors do simplify replacement to a degree but if you are not in the habit of working on suspensions it also a way to introduce some twist or preload on the coils. If you decide to use compressors make sure the suspension can droop enough to allow the coils to float on the perches.

Also make sure you use some professional grade compressors and use them with caution as they can be dangerous. Read some of the posts on spring compressors.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I'm not sure what is so difficult in disconnecting a sway bar link, shock and brake line. The suspension bolts all need to be loosened anyway in order to be torqued down at the new ride height.
Could you use a spring compressor, sure why not, IMO half a dozen in one and six in the other.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not sure what is so difficult in disconnecting a sway bar link, shock and brake line. The suspension bolts all need to be loosened anyway in order to be torqued down at the new ride height.
Could you use a spring compressor, sure why not, IMO half a dozen in one and six in the other.
Disconnect the brake line??? You mean the hydraulic brake line? Won't you have to bleed the brake line if you disconnect it?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I use them all the time and you get lots of people saying they are dangerous and no good but a quality set of compressors properly applied work great and make changing a breeze. what I do is install the compressors with the springs under weight then when I put the vehicle on jack stands and start dropping the axle the springs stay compressed and are easily removed and installed back. Some compressors are too thick to work but many work great. Like anything you have to be careful but properly using quality compressors is no more dangerous then any other activity we do.
So do you still have to disconnect the sway bar connectors, shocks, and brake line if you use the compressor???

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
So do you still have to disconnect the sway bar connectors, shocks, and brake line if you use the compressor???
I do just to get them out of the way and let the axle drop easier. as was mentioned just the brake line bracket not the brake line itself. just want it to have enough slack so it does not over stretch..

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I do just to get them out of the way and let the axle drop easier. as was mentioned just the brake line bracket not the brake line itself. just want it to have enough slack so it does not over stretch..
Thanks!

You know if you keep this up what I'll have to do don't you?

I mean I have a pair of EMU's as recommended by Arb to lift my front just a bit to compensate for the bumper, winch, and maybe just a bit more to level.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
I would slap those OME coils in so fast it would make your head spin. Seriously it is easy. beg borrow or steal a set of spring compressors that fit and in two hours you will be smiling.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
Meh .. Don't care for them. Are we loosening all suspension bolts and tightening at ride height ? :whistling:
yup and never had an issue with a spring compressor other then it is easier and faster, which I know some guys don't like doing things the easy way :) The older I get the easier I like things to go. I like not having to pry the coils in over the perches and for me it is a no brainer.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
What ... All I said is " I " don't care for them. Y'all can do what ever you want :p
don't take what I said wrong. I am just saying I like them for removing coils as there is lots of ways to skin a cat. again this was not meant to be taken any way other then for "me" compressors are an easier way to get an easy job done.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
I've taken coils off my JK when adding spacers and then when removing the spacers and swapping for higher rated coils. Never used a compressor and never had a problem.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I just put a set of JKU coils on my 2dr by myself and all you need to do is put a jack under the opposite side or if you have a buddy handy either have him push down on the side of the axle your working on or pull up on the opposite side. I've done 4 lifts and never had to use compressors.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts