Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Jeep 1998 with 106K on her. Out of the blue the Check Engione light came on. I did have to run her for a few days without a gas cap. Fixed that problem added some good gas :whistling: light still on. Oil isn't due to be changed, electrical system reads okay any ideas would be great. Hate to take it to the doctor without a second opinion.

Nature

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Have you went to Oriley's or Autozone to get them to do a free check? Btw welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
698 Posts
The Gas Cap in all probability was the cause of your light coming on. As mentioned,
the Zone or O Rileys can check it for free, and reset it.
Or you can disconnect your Battery for a min or two, reconnect it, and all codes will
reset. Now should the Check Light return, then there is another issue that will need
to be diagnosed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I too am brand new to wranglers and this forum. though I've had 2 Cherokees w this power train. I got a ck engine light yesterday and was very interested in the gas cap possibility as I believe my gas tank vent is clogged. it is very hard to fuel the beast. I work on boats so I understand the problem but don't know where the vent is? add to this a land runner conversion and I'm really lost trying to find the vent? are they vented? where is the vent supposed to be...and could this cause ck engine?? thanks all in advance.

·
zombie & ninja slayer
2,276 Posts
I too am brand new to wranglers and this forum. though I've had 2 Cherokees w this power train. I got a ck engine light yesterday and was very interested in the gas cap possibility as I believe my gas tank vent is clogged. it is very hard to fuel the beast. I work on boats so I understand the problem but don't know where the vent is? add to this a land runner conversion and I'm really lost trying to find the vent? are they vented? where is the vent supposed to be...and could this cause ck engine?? thanks all in advance.
land runner?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,399 Posts
As recommended above, either give it a little more time to clear the CEL or disco the battery's negative lead for 2 minutes to clear the code.

Running what you described as "some good gas" probably means you added some higher octane gas to the tank... which didn't do a thing to help. 89 or 91 octane doesn't add any quality, power, engine cleaners, etc. than standard '87 octane has. All octane does is slow has fast gasoline burns once ignited, and it makes it harder to ignite so higher levels of engine compression won't cause it to self-ignite by compression alone.

In fact, running a higher octane gasoline than our engines are designed for can actually cause them to develop deposits and run worse, not better, since higher octane fuels don't burn as quickly or ignite as readily as 87 octane does. Really. :)

·
Supporting jeeper!
3,867 Posts
Jerry Bransford said:
As recommended above, either give it a little more time to clear the CEL or disco the battery's negative lead for 2 minutes to clear the code.

Running what you described as "some good gas" probably means you added some higher octane gas to the tank... which didn't do a thing to help. 89 or 91 octane doesn't add any quality, power, engine cleaners, etc. than standard '87 octane has. All octane does is slow has fast gasoline burns once ignited, and it makes it harder to ignite so higher levels of engine compression won't cause it to self-ignite by compression alone.

In fact, running a higher octane gasoline than our engines are designed for can actually cause them to develop deposits and run worse, not better, since higher octane fuels don't burn as quickly or ignite as readily as 87 octane does. Really. :)
Really? Hmmm I never knew that. Always thought higher=better

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
Jerry doesn't need backing up----my experience with higher octane my Jeep '04 sport--plugged cats (3 in 2 years) o2 sensors going bad for no reason, replaced and thanks to Forum have used nothing but 87 octane no problems since.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Really? Hmmm I never knew that. Always thought higher=better
Nope,

Jerry is right. You need to buy the gas that is designed for the engine/computer management system you have.

For troubles like this, I would recommend running Chevron Techroline Fuel System Cleaner. When I worked in South Texas and they guys came back from South of the border, I just put a bottle in their car and you can feel it begin to smooth out as you drive away. The Pastor that came to our Gas Station always bought a case before he went to Mexico on his pilgrimages. Kept his Jimmy running good on all the bad gas he bought.

·
Registered
698 Posts
land runner?

Yeah, That ones funny right there ! :rofl:

He's reference to the difference between a Boat an a Vehicle
that are running the same Power Plant / Engine.

The same Engine in both, But both so different in so many
ways. :eek: That's good~~~:facepalm:

·
Registered
9 Posts
gas tank venting

Yeah, That ones funny right there ! :rofl:

He's reference to the difference between a Boat an a Vehicle
that are running the same Power Plant / Engine.

The same Engine in both, But both so different in so many
ways. :eek: That's good~~~:facepalm:
nice . harassed on my first post. a Cherokee is not a boat and I assume jeep gas tanks must be vented in some way. I mentioned land runner because they take off all 4 quarter panels and thus relocate the gas cap approx 8" further out...Denny if tank is supposed to hav an additional line for a vent? it only takes fuel a few teaspoons at a time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts