Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm Lee, a first-time newbie here. I'm also old and computer challenged to boot. Please bear with my fumbling. I just bought my first Jeep, a 2002 TJ. It didn't come with an owner's manual and I can't find an answer to my question. Occasionally an indicator light appears briefly in the upper right corner of the dash display. It's a three-sided box with an inverted V top. It resembles a house. What does it indicate?.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Welcome to the forum! And congrats on your jeep purchase. You have found a great resource here as most here are very helpful and full of knowledge.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Lee! My ol yeller is, also a 2002. :wavey:

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
You have a stick and it is telling you to up shift. I ignore it. Tilt my wheel so I can't see it lol.
^^^Yep, Apparently Chrysler didn't think that you knew when to shift. We won't tell them that it used to be that standard transmissions were all you could buy....:rofl2: I hear they are coming out with a light on toilets that tell you when to flush.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,399 Posts
The good thing is that Upshift light is removable, it doesn't take more than a phillips head screwdriver to remove the instrument cluster to pull that stupid bulb. I pulled mine the first weekend I had my then-new '97 TJ home.

And welcome to the forum... I am not new here but I'm old and lost too so we should get along fine. :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow, what response!! Thanks so much to all of you for your replies. So they actually installed a light to tell you when to up shift? Amazing. My hearing is not that great but I'll rely on IT and not a silly light to tell me when I need a higher gear. One other question if I may: my blower works on the high setting but not on medium or low. I've checked the fuses behind the glove box and they're OK. Any thoughts?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,399 Posts
The HVAC blower not working on lower fan speeds is nearly always from a bad resistor pack that is mounted up above the passenger-side foot well. The fan switch uses that resistor pack for all but the highest fan speed. The good news is that it's easy to replace. It could also be from a bad fan switch but odds are it's the resistor pack.

·
Premium Member
1,202 Posts
Well Lee, at least you know how to spell and use punctuation! at least we know you have some intelligence. It's a great start. Welcome ! :awesome:

·
Detail Oriented
3,174 Posts
I used these three videos to help me fix the blower motor resistor pack. I got it done in about an hour. (I have big hands and had to mess around a lot to get up in there.)

It was very gratifying to do this and have it working properly again. My resistor cost me about $25 at my dealership. Dealers charge whatever they want, so this part could be more or less. But it is by no means costly.

I am linking to the first video in the series in this post. I will add the other two in follow ups. Good luck! And WELCOME!

Jeep wrangler fan resitor pack replacment part 1 of 3 - YouTube

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for your response and your videos! I'll take a look later today and then buy the resistor pack. It will certainly be a lot less expensive than what a dealership would charge. Again, many thanks,

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well Lee, at least you know how to spell and use punctuation! at least we know you have some intelligence. It's a great start. Welcome ! :awesome:
Thanks for the compliment! Prior to retiring I earned my living as a public communicator (public relations, publicity, advertising, newspaper reporting, etc.) and it's good to know that I haven't lost the basic skills....at least not yet!

·
Registered
901 Posts
Welcome to the forum Lee(another old timer here). Best of luck with your new purchase. I'm sure you'll enjoy it as much as the rest of us(on the forum) do.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Unfortunately, the one time I tried to shift using my shift light when I bought the Jeep, I ended up going about 30mph in 5th gear. Then luckily I had the infamous TJ dash cluster issues so I lost all gauges including idiot shift light. All part of owning a Jeep. Oh well, welcome to WF.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts