Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a replacement bar for my Hi Lift jack. On the bar, it has a sticker that says something like "climbing pins must enter from this side". I can't see any differences between the two sides of the bar. Anyone know what it is?

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
It may have to do with the centering of the holes on the bar. It may be the holes are tappered on one side and not the other.
FOLLOW the instructions..... OK?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It may have to do with the centering of the holes on the bar. It may be the holes are tappered on one side and not the other.
FOLLOW the instructions..... OK?
Of course I'll follow the instructions. I just want to know what the difference is between the two sides. As far as I can tell, the holes are perfectly centered and there is no taper to either side. So far, google hasn't been any help.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Of course I'll follow the instructions. I just want to know what the difference is between the two sides. As far as I can tell, the holes are perfectly centered and there is no taper to either side. So far, google hasn't been any help.
Could you post a picture of the bar and the manufactures label?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Could you post a picture of the bar and the manufactures label?
I've already installed the bar and the label was destroyed when I removed it. It was just a plain white label with the text I posted above. I found a youtube video showing how to install a new bar and he had the same label. He said it was because the holes had a better finish on that side. I couldn't detect any difference.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
I've already installed the bar and the label was destroyed when I removed it. It was just a plain white label with the text I posted above. I found a youtube video showing how to install a new bar and he had the same label. He said it was because the holes had a better finish on that side. I couldn't detect any difference.
Under Hi-Lifts features it list that the bar is reversable for longer life.

https://hi-lift.com/hi-lift-jacks/
"Steel bar can be reversed for extra long life"

Seems to me they are referring to the component ( 3. Steel standard bar) in the Parts List while troubleshooting.

Section 2. Check Running Gear Installation
Inspect to see that the Running Gear (Part #RGC or RGP) has not been reversed on the upright Steel Bar. The Climbing Pins (Part #29) must engage in the side of the upright Steel Bar where the hole edges are smooth (run finger along the holes on both sides of the upright Steel Bar to determine the smooth side). If the Steel Bar has been reversed, remove the Top Clamp-Clevis (Part #C7 or S7) from the Steel Bar and slide the Running Gear (Part #RGC or RGP) off the Steel Bar and replace it on the Steel Bar so the Climbing Pins (Part #29) engage the holes on the SMOOTH SIDE of the STEEL BAR.

I didn't remember that.

Reactions: El_Duderino

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Under Hi-Lifts features it list that the bar is reversable for longer life.

https://hi-lift.com/hi-lift-jacks/
"Steel bar can be reversed for extra long life"

Seems to me they are referring to the component ( 3. Steel standard bar) in the Parts List while troubleshooting.

Section 2. Check Running Gear Installation
Inspect to see that the Running Gear (Part #RGC or RGP) has not been reversed on the upright Steel Bar. The Climbing Pins (Part #29) must engage in the side of the upright Steel Bar where the hole edges are smooth (run finger along the holes on both sides of the upright Steel Bar to determine the smooth side). If the Steel Bar has been reversed, remove the Top Clamp-Clevis (Part #C7 or S7) from the Steel Bar and slide the Running Gear (Part #RGC or RGP) off the Steel Bar and replace it on the Steel Bar so the Climbing Pins (Part #29) engage the holes on the SMOOTH SIDE of the STEEL BAR.

I didn't remember that.
Interesting. I did run my finger up and down both sides, but couldn't tell a difference.

Thanks for digging that up!:thumb:

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,859 Posts
And to confirm it is a Hi-Lift jack and not a knock off? Hard Rock 4x4 makes one that is I-****ing-denticle but sells for half price.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
An hour with a file and both sides can be smooth...

I can see why they would want the pins on the smooth side. It keeps them from getting hung up or scratched. And cutting the holes in the bar surely makes a rough side. But I wonder if there is any reason you can't make the "rough" side usable. hmmm...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts