Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any opinions about using a bottle jack instead of a high lift jack? My new jeep mod guy just strongly recommended I dump the HLJ and use a bottle jack with a jack stand when I need to change a tire or get off a rock. I've used a high lift jack maybe 10 times in 7 years and while I know they are potentially dangerous I've never had an issue because I use it properly. Still, I wouldn't mind having a smaller device that doesn't have to be mounted externally on my bumper.

Here's a vid showing use of the alternative:

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Any opinions about using a bottle jack instead of a high lift jack? My new jeep mod guy just strongly recommended I dump the HLJ and use a bottle jack with a jack stand when I need to change a tire or get off a rock. I've used a high lift jack maybe 10 times in 7 years and while I know they are potentially dangerous I've never had an issue because I use it properly. Still, I wouldn't mind having a smaller device that doesn't have to be mounted externally on my bumper.

Here's a vid showing use of the alternative:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrSUbvdmNGk
I have a safe jack kit, expensive but you get all the nice accessories. The bottle jack they use for the kit is like 20 bucks or so on amazon, they said it's a superior jack and never had any problems with it. I've used it many times and it's a great thing to have in the jeep as well as all the accessories with bag. I also have their base but I'm not too fond of how the base secures itself to the jack.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
I cannot condone the elimination or replacement of a high lift jack. That said, I welcome adding a bottle jack to ones recovery set. Here is why. I once had an issue that required my high lift jack, a bottle jack, and two scissor Jack's to fix. That said a high lift jack would have been all I needed if I had a front bumper high lift jack point. What happened? Lugnut worked loose while offroading and resulted in my drivers side front rotor on the ground. If you can think of a way not involving a high lift jack to get the side off the ground I am listening.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
I have also used my high lift as a come along to get off rocks and roots. (Backwards)
There are also several other macgyver level things you can use a high lift for. Want to know?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have also used my high lift as a come along to get off rocks and roots. (Backwards)
There are also several other macgyver level things you can use a high lift for. Want to know?

I'm with you on using the hi lift for recovery. I've been out with rookies who get high centered and don't have protection for their undercarriage; better to lift them up and build a rock bridge than drag them off with a winch or a strap.

I've also seen the situations where a hi lift is used as a poor man's winch.

What are the other possibilities?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a safe jack kit, expensive but you get all the nice accessories. The bottle jack they use for the kit is like 20 bucks or so on amazon, they said it's a superior jack and never had any problems with it. I've used it many times and it's a great thing to have in the jeep as well as all the accessories with bag. I also have their base but I'm not too fond of how the base secures itself to the jack.

"I've used it many times"

For putting on spares or for more complicated recoveries?

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I cannot condone the elimination or replacement of a high lift jack. That said, I welcome adding a bottle jack to ones recovery set. Here is why. I once had an issue that required my high lift jack, a bottle jack, and two scissor Jack's to fix. That said a high lift jack would have been all I needed if I had a front bumper high lift jack point. What happened? Lugnut worked loose while offroading and resulted in my drivers side front rotor on the ground. If you can think of a way not involving a high lift jack to get the side off the ground I am listening.
Exhaust jack. All I carry on my crawler now.

Mark

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
I'm with you on using the hi lift for recovery. I've been out with rookies who get high centered and don't have protection for their undercarriage; better to lift them up and build a rock bridge than drag them off with a winch or a strap.

I've also seen the situations where a hi lift is used as a poor man's winch.

What are the other possibilities?
1. On some jeeps the handle is bigger than a tie rod and can sleeve it if bent.
2. The body can be ratchet straped/bolted to span a tie rod or drag link to limp off a trail.
3. Clever strapping can be used to retain a wheel in the event of a broken axle shaft. (You lose turning) makes it way easier for friends to drag you out.
4. Kinda the same as 3 but it can be strapped to a wheel to act as a paddle to get out of hard bottom mud or maybe beach sand traps.
5. Poor man's winch but can pull 90 degrees.
6. You can flip your jeep off its side...

·
Super Moderator
15,371 Posts
I carry both a hi lift and a bottle jack. I use the bottle jack easily 10-1 over the hi lift. Personally I only grab the hi lift when it's the last available tool to do the job.

·
Administrator
12,455 Posts
I carry a 1.5 Ton alumimun floor jack.. works great. large base, light weight and stores under the rear seat(4 door) just fine. My Hi-lift is about the last thing I want to change a tire with unless I have too.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have one of those bottle jack / stand combos too, as linked in post #7 above. It works well. The built in jack stand makes it safer than a standard bottle jack.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Mostly use a bottle jack, only use of the HL so far has been for the trailer, I also carry a large block of wood for a base. I have also used the scissor jack to raise and tip the rig off rocks. Just do not trust the HL jack and only a tool when all else fails. A dangerous tool at that.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Treat the high lift jack like any specialized tool in the recovery arsenal. Rarely used but can be effective when all else fails so it can still be a good additional tool. Debating on which jack really depends upon the situation as bottle jacks are not always the best choice. I'd say keep the high lift available if you have one. Plus the high lift makes the total off-roader/overlander look awesome otherwise something is missing. Learn to use the high lift correctly and it can be a good addition.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
both are useful. why not carry both and use what's appropriate for the situation? a hi lift is really versatile, especially with the attachments offered. kinda hard (impossible) to get a bottle jack to pull.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts