Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just looking for some inputs ... I was in my driveway this week spraying my wheels but I couldn't use the jack that came with the car to get it off the ground... So I'm looking to get the hilift jack.. I see they come in 48 and 60".. Is 60 necessary? Also wondering where to mount it... I think the hood mount looks awesome but don't want to scratch my hood up getting it on and off... Does anyone have it there? What do you think as far as ease of getting it on and off. My other option is mounting it inside to the roll bars... Also which brand mounts do you have ... Pictures would be awesome too of how you have it mounted... Thanks in advance

·
Registered
208 Posts
Not sure why the stock jack wouldn't get your wheels off the ground. I bought the 60" and was considering cutting the last foot off, until 2 weeks ago when I used every inch of it on the trail. Mine mounts on the teraflex mount to the tailgate. I agree that a horizontal mount on the hood looks cool, but not practical for me.

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
just looking for some inputs ... I was in my driveway this week spraying my wheels but I couldn't use the jack that came with the car to get it off the ground... So I'm looking to get the hilift jack.. I see they come in 48 and 60".. Is 60 necessary? Also wondering where to mount it... I think the hood mount looks awesome but don't want to scratch my hood up getting it on and off... Does anyone have it there? What do you think as far as ease of getting it on and off. My other option is mounting it inside to the roll bars... Also which brand mounts do you have ... Pictures would be awesome too of how you have it mounted... Thanks in advance
What size wheels are on your car?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Waiting to see some pics of some mounting options. Mine is just laying in the back tub area. Thinking of making a lockbox for the tub and mounting the jack to the top or side of that.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Waiting to see some pics of some mounting options. Mine is just laying in the back tub area. Thinking of making a lockbox for the tub and mounting the jack to the top or side of that.
not. A bad idea... I saw the one that attaches to the roll bar but the trunk is small enough .. And if I'm going to throw a cooler or anything in there it's gonna be impossible unless I take it off first

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I have 48" that I have had for 10 years. I recently got sliders and was playing with my hi-lift.

I have no lift and stock tires but I did have the front sway bar disconnected and was still able to get both right wheels off the ground before at the midway point of the jacket.
To make things easier since I have a Rubicon I can just hit the switch before jacking he front up.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have 48" that I have had for 10 years. I recently got sliders and was playing with my hi-lift. http://s81.photobucket.com/user/mcm...n/TJMslidersinstalled016_zps997537a1.jpg.html http://s81.photobucket.com/user/mcm...n/TJMslidersinstalled018_zpsc0509be8.jpg.html I have no lift and stock tires but I did have the front sway bar disconnected and was still able to get both right wheels off the ground before at the midway point of the jacket. To make things easier since I have a Rubicon I can just hit the switch before jacking he front up.
do you have it mounted on your jeep anywhere?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I definitely consider my hi-lift a trail only accessory. There are plenty out there who use it any chance they get, but its narrow base kind of freaks me out for changing tires. Much prefer the stock scissor jack when I can use it. I use it to bring tires up on tall obstacles and allow it to "fall over".

In regards to mounting, I have dominion off-road's rear roll bar mount. It keeps the jack out of the weather and out of the way. The only disadvantages are that it will only take a 48" jack and you have to remove your jack to take the soft top down (not really a big deal in the grand scheme of things).

·
Registered
863 Posts
I also use the Tera flex tire carrier accessory mount. Trouble is keeping it mounted outside makes it rusty quick. The moment it gets used it instantly gets scratched. Then when water gets on it it starts rusting. I'd rather mount it inside but don't want to have it in the way. So, I mount it to the Tera flex mount when I go on long trips or when I go wheeling.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
Instead of asking if you need one, go to you-tube and watch the few hundred ways they are useful, then you'll know if you need one.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I also use the Tera flex tire carrier accessory mount. Trouble is keeping it mounted outside makes it rusty quick. The moment it gets used it instantly gets scratched. Then when water gets on it it starts rusting. I'd rather mount it inside but don't want to have it in the way. So, I mount it to the Tera flex mount when I go on long trips or when I go wheeling.
Agreed. Mine is in the garage where it can stay dry unless I'm headed off road. It mounts to the TF hinge carrier in a few minutes. Only hard part is remembering where I keep the hardware each time.:atomic:
Nice Jeep, BTW. I love that color.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Check out Dominion Off Roads hi lift jack mount for 4 door JKs. We sell so many of these, and they mount your hi lift up and out of the way till you need them, inside your jeep!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Since you are looking at mounting options, not if you need one or not (you should get one BTW), here is how I have mine mounted. It is attached to my Rockhard 4x4 bumper.

*Note: This is a photo taken right after I got the bumper. It is still mounted that way, but turned around. and MAN look how clean everything is...

Here is another more recent:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Can I use the hi - lift jack on the stock bumper without damaging it or do I need the bumper lift attachment? Also can you use it on the the rock rails without damaging them?

Have a 2014 Rubicon.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Originally we used the Rugged Ridge mount beside the spare tire, but after lifting and installing the Teraflex hinge/spare mount decided to go for an inside mount.

Mounts were made by Hillside Machine on eBay (no affiliation but have two sets of these installed on both of our JKs) hillsidemachine on eBay

Yeah, you can fabricate your own with exhaust clamps, etc. I just don't have time with work travel and these worked great, installed in a few minutes. We just throw a blanket over the jack before taking the top down as a preventative measure and so far no issues, top down or up, and jack is dry and ready to go....YMMV.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts