Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm restoring my jeep, and I really want to get two hi-lites for the bumper, and I also want to get a light bar over my windshield, which I think will run four or five hi-lites. Will my battery be able to power up to 7 hi- lites? And I think I'm going to go with IPF's because they seem to be the best for the money, any opinions?

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
It depends on the wattage of the lights, but it would probably be fine. My friend runs a total of 600watts of lights on his jeep with no problems.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Whether your battery can handle the lights isn't the question. The question is can your alternator handle the power drain from all the lights and keep the battery charged at the same time. Determine your alternator amperage rate first, then go from there.

That was the nitpicky side of me. The "screw it and do it" side says go for it. :thumb:

But if you plan on adding any other accessories like a compressor, subs, winch, etc.. you're gonna wanna look into a better alternator to keep up with the drain.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Just find out the total power draw of the lights you want and go from there.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Allright! Are their any benefits of going with a higher watt light? I'm guessing there brighter am I correct?

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
I'm not sure what you want to light up, but I run 2 100watt kc slimlights and they do darn well.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Another related question. I want to put two 100w KCs on my new front bumper. The stock wiring and switch is still in place from where I removed the old stock fog lights. Will the stock switch and wiring be heavy duty enough to run 100w lights?

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
While I wouldn't run 100 watt lights off the stock wiring, you could use it as a switch for a relay so it all stays stock inside the jeep

·
Registered
265 Posts
I also have the 100 watts and if you need more light than what those put out, you might as well wait until the sun comes up. The 100's do just fine.

x2 on using the wiring for a switch on a relay, but I'd also run new wires. KC usually sends you everything you need to make them work.

·
Hardcore Jeeper
3,320 Posts
I used to have 2 150w lights, 4 130w lights, 2 55w lights, and the high beams and fog lights (65w x2 and 55w x2) on my jeep. Thats about 1060w worth of light, or about 88 amps. If I turned them all on while the jeep was running, the volt meter would go from 14v to 12v at idle. if I was driving, it would be a little higher (more rpm, more power).

Can it be done? Yes. Should it be done? thats up to you, but a better alternator should be in your near future if you want to.

·
Registered
265 Posts
2 100 watts and a pair of blk magic hellas does the job for me. any more and you're wasting your money in my opinion

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay thanks! I think I'm just going to go with the two IPF's on my bumper for now, due to my budget. But in the future I'd like to get a light bar!

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
If you want to light up the front of your vehicle get 2. 2 shined up front will cover plenty of area. 5 directed in the same spot will be no brighter than 1. Only reason to have a ton would be to aim them more toward the sides to widen your viewpoint. I could see that being useful on a rally truck flying through the desert at night but useless for driving trails.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have my hella's on the windshield mounts, which I use as flood lights. I angle them around to illuminate the trail to my sides, and I have two kc's mounted on the bumper for the trail. Plenty of light.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts