Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all! I've been anxious to post anything, but here goes nothing...

Sooo, I've always wanted to own a Jeep Wrangler and live the Jeep life. I've always wanted to take my dream Jeep off-road on marvelous adventures and to be able to mod it however the heck I want! Thinking about all of it brings a huge, stupid smile to my face. I know; I'm lame. :9lame: It's been a dream of mine for a very long time and I finally have the means to make it come true.

Thing is... I cannot, for the life of me, decide on which Jeep to purchase!!!! :pullinghair:

I've been looking at new 2017 JKUs. The trims I've looked at are the Sport S, Freedom, Smoky Mountain, and Rubicon. One of the things I've been asking myself is if I should just wait and order one? Or do I buy one of these Sport S at the dealer that has a few mods on it already - such as lift kits, beefier tires, new wheels, winches, tint, etc? Or do I find one of the higher trims with as much as I want on it and then go crazy on the aftermarket? Or do I again find one of the higher trims with a few mods already on it and then still go crazy on the aftermarket?

I just don't want to make the wrong decision. I mean, I do realize that whichever route I take, I'm ultimately ending up with a Jeep, so it's not ever going to be viewed as a loss. I just want to know that I'm making the right choice.

What are your suggestions? Or am I being silly and it'll be a "you'll just know" kind of moment when I find the right one? I dunno... :whistling:

Oh, and please let me know if I wrote anything in a confusing manner. Just a bit frazzled right now. I've test driven about 5 at this point and still haven't left the lot with one because, clearly, they've all been amazing. Wish I could buy them all, Lol!

Thanks for your help! :)

·
Premium Member
7,241 Posts
There are three basic lines of Jeep Wranglers and every Special Edition is built on one of those three lines. The three lines are Sport, Sahara and Rubicon. The Sport is very basic with almost no frills. It has for example 16" steel wheels with Goodyear Wrangler SRA (street) tires. Next up is the Sahara which adds a number of frills, and jumps to 18" Aluminum wheels with Bridgstone P255/70R18 tires (all terrain). Then you have the Rubicon with 17" aluminum wheels and BF Goodrich LT255/75R17 Mud Terrain T/A km tires (aggressive).

The Freedom and Smoky Mountain editions are built on the Sahara and have the 18" wheels with the Bridgestone tires. It comes with a heavier front axle (Dana 44) than either the Sport or Sahara (both have Dana 30 in front 44 in the rear). It comes standard with electrical locking differentials and an electrical unlocking swaybar. The Sport and Sahara have standard open differentials and non-disconnecting sway bar.

Disconnecting the sway bar allows for more wheel droop when off road, but if not reconnected makes for a wild ride on road. The four door Rubicon comes standard with electric windows and locks, security system, LED headlights and LED fog lights. (Sahara also comes with LED head and fog lights). With the automatic, the Rubicon has 3.73 rear axle ratio (4.10 optional) and with the manual the 4.10 is std.

The Freedom and Smokey Mountain Editions are both built on the Sahara base and have the Bridgestone P255/70R18 tires. While off road tires can be found in 18" size, they are more expensive than the same tires in 17". All Rubicons have 32" diameter tires as do all the Saharas. The Sport S and Willys Wheeler editions on sport have 32" tires as well, while the Big Bear is just slightly smaller (LT265/70R17).

The Willys Wheeler (the original Army Jeep was built by Willys Motor Corp) is an $4700 upgrade to the Sport and adds 17" aluminum wheels with BFG LT255/75R17 tires (most likey the Mud Terrain), Connectivity Group (detailed engine monitoring), U-Connect (cell phone bluetooth connection), rock rails, slush mats, Trac-Lok rear diff (limited slip) and 3.73 axle gearing. It also adds the Trail Rated kit which is a bag with recovery strap, nylon rope, shackle and glove. There is also a Willys Wheeler W package which for an additional $2100 add power windows, locks and security system. (I still would not park it on the street in Atlanta).

The Big Bear package (built on the Sport) which I mentioned in passing earlier has the connectivity group (compass, temp, mpg, engine stats), U-Connect (hands free cell phone), slush mats, 17" black aluminum wheels with LT265/70R17" tires (slightly less than 32" in diameter), but only has the 3.21 axle ratio.

To me, the best bang for the buck is probably the Willys Wheeler which is only $4300 more than the Sport while the Willys Wheeler W adds the power group for a difference of $6400 over the Sport. The Rubicon is $9550 more than the base Sport.

Go on the Jeep.com website and you can play with the various editions and options. Here is a YouTube video of the Wrangler Rubicon (Hard Rock) vs Wrangler Sport S vs Renegade in an off road challenge.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTQHet1G5ic&t=33s

·
Registered
124 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!!

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Just to add to the great advice above, if you are decide to order, the order windows have closed for 2017's. You'll have to wait a bit for the 2018 orders to start. And at this point I don't think anyone has much info on what special editions will be available and which colors. Jeep Garage may have some updated info. The jeep website is really bad at being behind in current info, with many submodels no longer available. So just keep that mind.

I would stay away from any customized jeeps sitting on the showroom floor. You will likely be paying 3x as much compared to if you got those mods yourself, and many times they are cheap parts.

As to what trim level and mods to get, depends on what you want to do with it.
For me, my jeep is 95% road/daily driver. So I got a Sahara which comes with most creature comforts standard and just as off road worth as the Sport, without some of the extra off-road stuff like lockers and heavier duty axle which would be wasted on me. I still added a lift kit and took it wheeling and it does great. Has more capability than I will ever use. And I love it as a daily.

Reactions: Ehtacs

·
Registered
314 Posts
Hello to all! I've been anxious to post anything, but here goes nothing...

Sooo, I've always wanted to own a Jeep Wrangler and live the Jeep life. I've always wanted to take my dream Jeep off-road on marvelous adventures and to be able to mod it however the heck I want! Thinking about all of it brings a huge, stupid smile to my face. I know; I'm lame. :9lame: It's been a dream of mine for a very long time and I finally have the means to make it come true.

Thing is... I cannot, for the life of me, decide on which Jeep to purchase!!!! :pullinghair:

I've been looking at new 2017 JKUs. The trims I've looked at are the Sport S, Freedom, Smoky Mountain, and Rubicon. One of the things I've been asking myself is if I should just wait and order one? Or do I buy one of these Sport S at the dealer that has a few mods on it already - such as lift kits, beefier tires, new wheels, winches, tint, etc? Or do I find one of the higher trims with as much as I want on it and then go crazy on the aftermarket? Or do I again find one of the higher trims with a few mods already on it and then still go crazy on the aftermarket?

I just don't want to make the wrong decision. I mean, I do realize that whichever route I take, I'm ultimately ending up with a Jeep, so it's not ever going to be viewed as a loss. I just want to know that I'm making the right choice.

What are your suggestions? Or am I being silly and it'll be a "you'll just know" kind of moment when I find the right one? I dunno... :whistling:

Oh, and please let me know if I wrote anything in a confusing manner. Just a bit frazzled right now. I've test driven about 5 at this point and still haven't left the lot with one because, clearly, they've all been amazing. Wish I could buy them all, Lol!

Thanks for your help! :)
For me, it is all about budget and what you are willing to pay. I picked up a Sport (not "S") with 3.73 gears, soft top and tracklok, but that is it. If my budget would have allowed for $10k more, I would have picked up a Rubi, no ifs ands or buts. I didn't need the electronic dodads of the "S" as I plan on running nekked every chance I get. I looked at owning a Wrangler so I could drop the top and doors, otherwise, why not get a SUV? I am very happy with my 'base' model Wrangler.

I knew I was going to mod it at a constant rate. I enjoy the researching, learning and wrenching process, which is why I did not consider one the dealer had already added lift and tires to. Also, it is really no longer unique if the dealer sells several that way. Part of the Jeep life is to pour your inspirations into it, learn about, bust your knuckles wrenching on it, and make it your own.

If you have the budget, go for a Rubi or Sahara, or pick up a Sport, save the $10k, and throw it into modifications...that's the fun part.

·
Registered
124 Posts
This could last for months to years....LOL.....I've had a couple Sports and a Sahara, and this time around, there was no other choice but the Rubicon.

No matter what you decide, it'll be a great decision :)

Welcome!

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
All good advice. Stay away from the pre-modded Jeeps. You'll probably have to pay a premium for them and since it's your first Wrangler you don't know what you want/need yet. Plus, picking your own mods is a lot of fun.

Sounds like budget isn't really an issue. Cool. Sport is the basic model and a very good trail vehicle as is but can be made even more capable and factory options can enhance the on road experience. Same for the Sahara, where the focus is more on the on road experience. And Rubicons are the baddest of the rock climbers but even if you aren't planning on doing rocks you may still enjoy just having one.

The lines have more in common than they do differences, so I don't think you can go terribly wrong here. In the end, get the one that speaks to you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All good advice. Stay away from the pre-modded Jeeps. You'll probably have to pay a premium for them and since it's your first Wrangler you don't know what you want/need yet. Plus, picking your own mods is a lot of fun.

Sounds like budget isn't really an issue. Cool. Sport is the basic model and a very good trail vehicle as is but can be made even more capable and factory options can enhance the on road experience. Same for the Sahara, where the focus is more on the on road experience. And Rubicons are the baddest of the rock climbers but even if you aren't planning on doing rocks you may still enjoy just having one.

The lines have more in common than they do differences, so I don't think you can go terribly wrong here. In the end, get the one that speaks to you.

Thanks for all the warm welcomes! And all the great advice, too!! :D

But I am seriously struggling with one aspect of all of this... As of right now, I do not have access to a garage in which I can carry out major mods, such as a lift kit w/ beefed up tires & wheels.

Maybe if I asked to borrow a certain family member's garage... but I really don't know how that's going to play out? (I know I'm going to become an annoyance if I'm there daily trying to mod my Jeep while he's modding his Harley, Lol!)

With that being said, is going for a pre-modded Jeep with JUST those mods still a big no-no or should I go ahead and bite the bullet since I can't accomodate and do it myself?

Slash, I hope I don't sound incredibly stupid... :hide:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks for all the warm welcomes! And all the great advice, too!! :D

But I am seriously struggling with one aspect of all of this... As of right now, I do not have access to a garage in which I can carry out major mods, such as a lift kit w/ beefed up tires & wheels.

Maybe if I asked to borrow a certain family member's garage... but I really don't know how that's going to play out? (I know I'm going to become an annoyance if I'm there daily trying to mod my Jeep while he's modding his Harley, Lol!)

With that being said, is going for a pre-modded Jeep with JUST those mods still a big no-no or should I go ahead and bite the bullet since I can't accomodate and do it myself?

Slash, I hope I don't sound incredibly stupid... :hide:
Asking questions to educate yourself shows you are not stupid.

You know your situation. Even if you don't have a place to do the mods yourself it may be better to select the mods you want, by the brands you want, and have them done by a local off-road garage you trust.

One thing you can do is test drive a dealer-modded jeep to get an idea how it feels to drive a lifted jeep. (If you mod it yourself, you can control the ride quality.)

Keep us updated.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I had a similar misunderstanding that lift kits and similar modifications were a do it yourself thing, but there are many places that sell the parts and install them. When I bought my Hard Rock, there was a person at the dealer whose job was selling lift kits, tires and wheels, seat protection stuff, etc. whom I had to sit down and talk to while waiting for paperwork to be done. Talking through various options for lifts that day and afterward, it became obvious that they were sending the Jeeps out to have it done. When I had my lift installed later elsewhere, I found out that place also sold and installed lifts and other modifications for dealers in the area. You're better off dealing directly with the installers and avoiding the mark-up in price the dealer will add, and they will customize it for you and know what they are doing because that's all they do, all day, every day.

·
Registered
646 Posts
If you go Sport, S or Sahara, Get 3.73s & a LSD if you can. This was my must have item for me. Help you with a step up in tire size and off road capability w/o need to regear immediately. Unless your planning 35s? Other must haves for me; LEDs, painted fenders, hard top. I ended up with a '17 Freedom 2Dr. The dealer had a good deal(3.8% under invoice) on it and it had everything I dreamt of just waiting for me. I've put 1000mi on it in the last 3 weeks and couldn't be more pleased! Good Luck with your hunt!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's happening!!!!!!! I put a down payment on a JKU today to hold it for (hopeful) pick-up tomorrow! I won't say what I decided on yet... I'll post pics (hopefully) tomorrow as a surprise for all to see. Let's just say... I am BEYOND ecstatic!!!!! Looking forward to sharing the moment with you all! ????

·
Registered
189 Posts
Clever/cool handle.

Congrats, welcome & enjoy,

Cheers/b

Reactions: rel4x4tion

·
Registered
146 Posts
My first Jeep was a custom build, I've still got my window sticker with my name on it. I knew what I wanted and I wanted it how I wanted it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Introducing to the world and this wonderful world of Wranglers... My new JKUR. Yep, I went all out and got a Rubicon!!!! :D

In the weeks, months, and years to come, there will be the addition of many, many mods. The excitement I have for modding my new Jeep is on a whole 'notha level, Lol.

And I loved all the waves (and waving) that took place today too! :D But I legit can't sleep because I cannot stop staring at it from my apartment window across the way in the carport...

(Oh, and apparently, the dealer takes pics of customers with their new vehicles, so my mom caught one of her taking the pic from the side. I'll have to post the dealer pic when she sends it tomorrow!)

P.S. Dealer also invited me to a Jeepfest this Labor Day wkend... Should I go??

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
Congrats on your new Rubi! Enjoy and drive the snot out of it.

Jeepfest? Heck yes, go and meet a bunch of other Jeep-Nuts...:welcome:

·
Registered
96 Posts
You are going to love your new JKUR! That smile on your face will NOT leave . . . ever.

I could sense the excitement in your first post and I'm so glad your dream came through for you. I'm quite a bit older (in my late 50's), but I still have that sense of excitement every day I drive to work.

Enjoy your new ride!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts