Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I've been lurking around several forums and I'll like to introduce myself in this one because seems to have the right balance between fun and knowledge... and knowledge about the Jeep is what I'm looking for... so... be patients with me guys I'm just learning.

I just bought a 1999 TJ 5 sp for my son and I'm trying to lead him in the right setup because it is going to be his daily transport.

Questions:
- How I can know if the jeep as been lifted?.. is anyway to measure?

- We want to install fog lights (I have a cheap set handy). I've checking the electrical setup and I found a fogs fuse in the PCM, a relay under the glove compartment and a connector for the switch in the front (3 switches close to the lighter)... but I don't have a clue how to connect everything... could someone help me with some directions? (I know I can make my own circuit with relay/switch, etc... but I will like to use the circuit already existent)

- What is the best place to buy after market wheels ?

Thanks guys
Miko

·
delicate %$^&*@ flower
14,751 Posts
Welcome to the forum. That's about all I can offer to ya'. You'll have to wait for the big dogs to swoop in with the answers, I'm just filler ;)

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
I don't know much about the TJ, but these guys and gals will have lots of info for you. I'm a YJ guy, myself.

Welcome to WF! We appreciate your saying that about fun and knowledge balance. Me and tiny are here for the fun!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know much about the TJ, but these guys and gals will have lots of info for you. I'm a YJ guy, myself.

Welcome to WF! We appreciate your saying that about fun and knowledge balance. Me and tiny are here for the fun!
Thanks.... don't worry you can still having fun with your "tiny" :rolleyes:

Miko

·
Kalashnikitty
5,584 Posts
I don't know the answers to your questions either but, welcome to WF!

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
probly the easiest way to tell if you have a lift or not, as I don't know the measurement of a stock wrangler, is to take it up to a dealer and park next to one and just compare the two.

as far as the wiring for the lights is concerned, i ran my own wiring for my two sets, so i don't know for sure about running it as jeep intended.

there are so many companies out there that sell wheels. it all depends on what you are looking for. places like desertrat.com run specials on wheel/tire packages, 4wheelparts.com is a great place to look, quadratec.com sells wheels, though they are probly higher than most. you're best bet is to just kinda surf the web to find the best deals for what you need.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
i think mine measured 17 inches to the rocker panel when it was stock. post a pic up and we can tell you if its lifted. chances are you'd know if you had a lift just because the step in would be high.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
First off, hello there and welcome to the forums.:)
hope this helps some, it is a specs page on the stock TJ.

http://auto.consumerguide.com/Auto/Used/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/2189/act/usedcarreviewspecs/

I believe that the overall height is measured from the top of the windsheild frame to the ground adding extra height for oversize tires. I think the largest you can put on a stock TJ is 31x10.50's but the stock tires were P215/75R-15 on most of them.

As far as the wireing, even with those componants the rest of the wireing might not be there. I'm sure the factory service manual from jeep would have a complete enough schematic to work through it. A componant locator book is a good idea also, it will tell you the location of everything on the jeep. I would use an aftermarket wireing kit and hook it through the factory switch all that is needed is the proper connectors and a good wireing kit should have a wireing diagram and instructions in it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks... I found a FSM (in French) that show me all the schematics ... I'm working on that now trying to locate all the components... seems that everything is in place (i only have doubts regarding to the location of the second relay for the fogs lamps).

My wheels size are 30x9.5x15 BFGoodridge with 16" rims and the height from the ground to the bottom of the driver front side is 18.5" ... so according to previous post it should be lifted 2 or 2 1/2" correct?

Miko

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
you might still have a stock lift and the added height is from the oversized tires. Mine has a 3.5 lift with 33's and the drivers side rocker measures at 22+". What is the measurement from the top of the tire to the fender well?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah.. you could be right... the measure from the top of the tire to the fender is 4.5" in the front and 6" in the back (I do not know why are both different).

Miko

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Not sure why there is a big difference. I just noticed that myself but the lift is level. Ah well, chalk it up to the "Umm I wonder" catagory.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Thanks... I found a FSM (in French) that show me all the schematics ... I'm working on that now trying to locate all the components... seems that everything is in place (i only have doubts regarding to the location of the second relay for the fogs lamps).

My wheels size are 30x9.5x15 BFGoodridge with 16" rims and the height from the ground to the bottom of the driver front side is 18.5" ... so according to previous post it should be lifted 2 or 2 1/2" correct?

Miko
no. my 17" measurement was with 28 inch tires. that extra inch and a half is probably from the 30 inch tires. i gained 2 inches of rocker panel clearance just from going from 28 to 32 so i wouldn't doubt it. i don't think you have a lift.

best way to find out if you have a lift is to post up pics!!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks... I figure it out... I just came from a dealer and now I'm sure that I don't have a lift at all (if I believe the dealer :)) )...

I saw right there other jeep with no lift and MT wheels and tires 32x11.5x15... like it... that is the kind of wheel size that I'll like to have.

I'm going to try to post some pics as soon as can buy a new camera... the old one (well ..new $400 camera was destroyed by my son... he ran the jeep over it!!!... he is adorable isn't ? :))

Miko

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
i ran 32's without a lift also. i really like it except i rubbed in the rear when flexing. it was alright for mud though.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey BigJeep... 2 questions:

- What size of rims did you use with the 32's ?
- And... did you have to use spacers with'em ?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts