Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm looking at getting a HID conversion kit (6000k) for about 100 bucks locally. My question is due to such a massive price difference between that and a set of new headlights what are the benefits? Strictly appearance? I feel like I'm missing something...

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
On the HID kits there is a lot required to get a good beam pattern. The cheap kits don't seem to have good optics, and scatter light all over. So if it comes with a true HID element, no matter the color, it just blasts out everywhere.
Other cheap kits have a look-a-like projector with a stock halogen H4 bulb. Those are pretty poor for light quality.
The least expensive quality true HID kit I've seen was just under $600.00 With options to go up to about $1,300 (bi-xenon).
So at $100, you are either getting the deal of the century (look into it carefully), or it's not something you'll be happy with.

Good luck on this!

·
Registered
841 Posts
I've spoken with and read about many users that have had great success with dropping in a quality HID kit into the Wrangler factory housings, so I've ordered the Morimoto Elite H13 kit with the Mopar harness, and going to try it out. Worst-case scenario, I'm out $200, best case scenario I have 50/55W of awesome 4300/5000K light for far less than any of the Trucklite/KC/JW options.

Many people will bitch and moan, say you're blinding everyone, but most are just regurgitating stuff they've read online. You CAN get proper HID output without reflectors (my old Lexus had HIDs in reflectors from the factory, and the lighting was spectacular).

I installed an HID kit into my CBR1000RR, and the reflectors work amazingly well with a properly based H7 bulb.

It will work well with some reflectors, and do a piss poor job with others. I'm going to try it myself, and will let you know how it works.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I've spoken with and read about many users that have had great success with dropping in a quality HID kit into the Wrangler factory housings, so I've ordered the Morimoto Elite H13 kit with the Mopar harness, and going to try it out. Worst-case scenario, I'm out $200, best case scenario I have 50/55W of awesome 4300/5000K light for far less than any of the Trucklite/KC/JW options.

Many people will bitch and moan, say you're blinding everyone, but most are just regurgitating stuff they've read online. You CAN get proper HID output without reflectors (my old Lexus had HIDs in reflectors from the factory, and the lighting was spectacular).

I installed an HID kit into my CBR1000RR, and the reflectors work amazingly well with a properly based H7 bulb.

It will work well with some reflectors, and do a piss poor job with others. I'm going to try it myself, and will let you know how it works.
Your not necessarily out $200. Even if they don't work in the stock Jeep housing for you, there are companies that sell a 7" housing designed for HID bulbs.
Might be worth looking in to, if the stray light is an issue.
Good luck! :beerdrinking:

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
Completely putting the legality of these lights, the beam pattern on the HID bulbs alone is your garden variety of garbage. You think you're getting much better lighting because there is so much extra light but it is shallow and scattered everywhere; a wall of light.

The only way to get a quality beam pattern from HID or LED light sources is a quality projector system and those aren't cheap. You get what you pay for when it comes to headlamps. HID bulbs in stock housings are at the bottom of the food chain.

Do as you wish but if you go with the HID bulbs, what ever else you do, don't let Hilldweller find out. :D

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Completely putting the legality of these lights, the beam pattern on the HID bulbs alone is your garden variety of garbage. You think you're getting much better lighting because there is so much extra light but it is shallow and scattered everywhere; a wall of light. The only way to get a quality beam pattern from HID or LED light sources is a quality projector system and those aren't cheap. You get what you pay for when it comes to headlamps. HID bulbs in stock housings are at the bottom of the food chain. Do as you wish but if you go with the HID bulbs, what ever else you do, don't let Hilldweller find out. :D
Interesting. So are you saying the light pattern and/or overall visibility would be better on the stock headlights versus a legal Affordable HID conversion?

·
Registered
841 Posts
Completely putting the legality of these lights, the beam pattern on the HID bulbs alone is your garden variety of garbage. You think you're getting much better lighting because there is so much extra light but it is shallow and scattered everywhere; a wall of light.

The only way to get a quality beam pattern from HID or LED light sources is a quality projector system and those aren't cheap. You get what you pay for when it comes to headlamps. HID bulbs in stock housings are at the bottom of the food chain.

Do as you wish but if you go with the HID bulbs, what ever else you do, don't let Hilldweller find out. :D
Sorry, but you're wrong. Bulbs don't create 'beam patterns'. The shape and direction of the light is dictated solely by the reflector or projector in use.

Lexus had HID with regular reflectors in the IS300, and the light output was amazing. Evenly distributed, well defined cutoff, with no hotspots or dim areas. Nice wide beam, with great reach and uniform luminosity. So yes, you can get good lighting with an HID bulb and a reflector.

If the H13 HID bulb is based correctly, and the lamp module is the correct distance to the ideal focal point, you get the same beam pattern would would with a halogen light source, just more of it.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Ok, let's say 4300 k or 5000k then. I have heard the 6000 k can be a bit bright. I believe 4300k is standard in many vehicles.
That references color, not brightness. And the problem with many of these kits is that they don't steer the light properly. That's what blinds people.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Sorry, but you're wrong. Bulbs don't create 'beam patterns'. The shape and direction of the light is dictated solely by the reflector or projector in use.

Lexus had HID with regular reflectors in the IS300, and the light output was amazing. Evenly distributed, well defined cutoff, with no hotspots or dim areas. Nice wide beam, with great reach and uniform luminosity. So yes, you can get good lighting with an HID bulb and a reflector.

If the H13 HID bulb is based correctly, and the lamp module is the correct distance to the ideal focal point, you get the same beam pattern would would with a halogen light source, just more of it.
You're right, but the arc of light in an HID bulb isn't necessarily in the same place as the filament in an incandescent bulb. That's part of the problem. Here's a really good page with some good info: High Intensity Discharge (HID) Headlights

·
Registered
841 Posts
You're right, but the arc of light in an HID bulb isn't necessarily in the same place as the filament in an incandescent bulb. That's part of the problem. Here's a really good page with some good info: High Intensity Discharge (HID) Headlights
That's why it's very important to get a high quality bulb with a base designed for the specific application and housing.

In the URL JKULondon posted, you can see what happens when a bulb not designed for the housing does. Stray light goes everywhere. It's because he used the Hellfire HID kit (which is an H13 bulb designed to work with our stock reflectors) and put the H13 bulb into a socket spaced and designed to house an H4 bulb (the IPF reflector/housing). Clearly, the light is not usable, and you would be blinding everyone. The results may have been completely different if he used a quality H4 bulb for the same test.

If you get a quality bulb built to strict standards, that adheres closely to the design spec, you can very often get very good light (in lumens and light distribution).

Like I said, I've ordered the kit and am going to try it. Best case scenario, it's awesome, and I'll let you guys know how it works. Worst case scenario, I'm out a few dollars, or need to buy different HID bulbs for a different application and housing/projector combo.

A bit of background, I'm very picky with my automotive lighting. I baked open the headlights in my BMW 5-series, upgraded the projectors, ballasts, and fitted Osram CBIs to improve the light output and pattern. In some vehicles, it works perfectly. In others, more work is required.

I'm curious to see how this one shakes out.

·
Registered
841 Posts
So, I had some time this past weekend and I installed the Morimoto Elite H13 HID kit with the Mopar harness. Plug and play, and took me about 60-90 minutes- only because I had never taken off the grille, lights, etc. I also took my time to find optimum cable routing, and testing it along the way to ensure that everything worked properly, with the car running, off, etc. before I bolted everything back into place.

The result- much(!) more usable light! Probably what Jeep should have shipped the vehicle with in the first place.

Is the cutoff perfect? No. Is it DOT compliant? Again, no- but the light output with the stock reflector is surprisingly good. The brightness is not perfectly uniform along the beam- there are some areas that are a bit brighter than others. If you look at your stock lights, you'll know what I mean.

The light pattern is the same as it was before with the halogen H13 bulb, now there is just more light, and it's 5,000 kelvin, so it's whiter, and I can clearly see the road in front of me.

Stray light isn't an issue at all. The fog lights actually throw out way more stray light, and we all know how useless those are.

Bottom line- if you only want to spend $200, this is the way I'd go. (this particular kit is $180 at theretrofitsource- no affiliation, but have purchased many times from them, and they offer decent products and aftersales support.

I will probably pick up the Sealed7 projector system in the spring, and use the same ballasts, harness, etc., and just buy the appropriate bulbs for the projectors in the system- but until then, I am not going to hesitate using this setup at all.

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
So, I had some time this past weekend and I installed the Morimoto Elite H13 HID kit with the Mopar harness. Plug and play, and took me about 60-90 minutes- only because I had never taken off the grille, lights, etc. I also took my time to find optimum cable routing, and testing it along the way to ensure that everything worked properly, with the car running, off, etc. before I bolted everything back into place.

The result- much(!) more usable light! Probably what Jeep should have shipped the vehicle with in the first place.

Is the cutoff perfect? No. Is it DOT compliant? Again, no- but the light output with the stock reflector is surprisingly good. The brightness is not perfectly uniform along the beam- there are some areas that are a bit brighter than others. If you look at your stock lights, you'll know what I mean.

The light pattern is the same as it was before with the halogen H13 bulb, now there is just more light, and it's 5,000 kelvin, so it's whiter, and I can clearly see the road in front of me.

Stray light isn't an issue at all. The fog lights actually throw out way more stray light, and we all know how useless those are.

Bottom line- if you only want to spend $200, this is the way I'd go. (this particular kit is $180 at theretrofitsource- no affiliation, but have purchased many times from them, and they offer decent products and aftersales support.

I will probably pick up the Sealed7 projector system in the spring, and use the same ballasts, harness, etc., and just buy the appropriate bulbs for the projectors in the system- but until then, I am not going to hesitate using this setup at all.
Welcome to the wide world of breaking federal laws!
Hopefully you won't blind somebody else before your kit falls apart or lights your Jeep on fire. Remember that the vehicle you blind might swerve in front of you and make you crash.

Just get real lights.
Jeez.

Dealing with Ignorance regarding vehicular lighting on other Automotive Forums

·
Registered
841 Posts
Hopefully you won't blind somebody else before your kit falls apart or lights your Jeep on fire.
I've been using these kits for many years, and haven't had a single one fail or set one of my cars or motorcycles on fire. If it sets the Jeep on fire, I'll pull out a camp chair and some marshmallows.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
You are missing something. The HID kits are going to blind other drivers and are illegal. If a cop gets blinded or annoyed, you can bet he will turn around and put you in a heap of trouble. If HID, do a proper setup even if not DOT approved. Without DOT approved headlights, you may fail inspection but keep the stockers for that. I think HID Projectors casts a good beam with a good cutoff. I have the JW Speakers- they are nice though I suspect the HID Projectors have a cleaner beam. I like LEDs because I don't want to mess with the HID ballasts. Probably not a big deal. I have been blinded enough by cheap HIDs bulbs to know how dangerous they are...especially on narrow roads and highways. I prefer being a bit considerate and not contributing to the problem.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts