Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I recently did a Mini H1 HID retrofit.
I have a relay harness and those warning cancellers/anti-flicker pieces.
The whole set up ran fine for about a week and then one morning, they quit working. So, I grabbed my multi-meter and metered around until I found that the ballasts weren't putting out the right voltage. So, I requested new ballasts from the seller on Amazon, and he sent me new ballasts (for free, cant beat that).
I then installed the new ballasts and they worked for one night, and the next morning they worked, but after I stopped at the grocery store they wouldn't come back on...

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Check your polarity from the OEM harness. Mopar polarity is typically reversed. Make sure you have good grounds as well. I put HID lows and fogs in my Grand Cherokee and it was a pain in the arse.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Please don't run hid retrofits. I drive 30 minutes down the highway in the dark, 60 in the winter, and they are very annoying, and create a dangerous situation. Scrap them and get something DOT legal.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Nothing wrong with retrofits... so long as they are in proper projectors (he did say Mini H1) and aimed correctly.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Nothing wrong with retrofits... so long as they are in proper projectors (he did say Mini H1) and aimed correctly.
This isn't true. There is no way to calibrate the retrofits without expensive equipment. Don't buy into the hype that fraudulent lamp makers use to market lights.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
This isn't true. There is no way to calibrate the retrofits without expensive equipment. Don't buy into the hype that fraudulent lamp makers use to market lights.
OP wasn't looking for your opinion on HID and frankly, I don't care. There are thousands of successful retrofits in use today. Feel free to read up on them if you are really interested...

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
Are you running a Morimoto harness? Have you checked the ballast grounds?

Please don't run hid retrofits. I drive 30 minutes down the highway in the dark, 60 in the winter, and they are very annoying, and create a dangerous situation. Scrap them and get something DOT legal.
There is nothing to "calibrate" when you retrofit a projector. I believe you are thinking of when ricers out HID bulbs into stock reflector housings. A projector retrofit actually installs a projector with a properly designed bowl and cut off shield to not blind the whole road and perform equally as well as OEM lights on many cars. In fact, you could grab a set of OEM projectors from an Acura for example and install them. If you're referring to "HID kits" where they run HID bulbs in stock housings, I'd be in total agreement with you.

Here is the output from my projectors aimed so that the cutoff is below the average/lowered car's windshield and side mirrors. Please tell me how that blinds everyone

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
Also OP, I'm not sure I'd be poking around the output side of the ballasts with a multimeter too much. That thing has ~16000V on start up

·
Registered
91 Posts
Glare off the road. It's not just the upper cut off that blinds people. Lights are supposed to have a pattern that doesn't light up immediately in front of the vehicle. Lighting up the road immediately in front of your vehicle means that the reflection off the road goes into people's eyes, as well as reduces the driver's long range vision. Legal lights are designed so they illuminate the road at a specific distance and angle so that it focuses the driver's eyes at that specific distance. This is why your fog lights turn off when you switch to high beams. In dot lights, the angle the light hits the road is calibrated so that the reflected light makes contact with oncoming traffic at a larger distance, ruducing glare.

Retrofits don't take these light patterns into consideration in their design, which is why they aren't approved.

Some food for thought. If you get found out to have illegal lights, which contribute to an accident; you're liable. Insurance companies can and will void your coverage, leaving you with hefty liabilities. Seems to me that it's not worth saving a few hundred dollars.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
You have no idea what you are talking about... projectors produce light at a sufficient distance and not the area immediately in front of your vehicle. That's what fogs are for... A good retrofit is no different than OEM output.

Glare has to do with refraction within in the housing, not the road surface, unless we're talking wet roads which will reflect all light.

Liability depends on many factors but do you think manufacturers would be putting HID and LED lighting in vehicles if the liability would make them at fault?

I agree with InvertChaos in his thinking that you are thinking about HIDs in reflector housings, not projectors.

Stop gunking up this thread with misinformation and fearmongering. OP needs help, not bad info. If you want to learn more or debate this further, head over to HiDplanet : The Official Automotive Lighting Forum

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
Glare off the road. It's not just the upper cut off that blinds people. Lights are supposed to have a pattern that doesn't light up immediately in front of the vehicle. Lighting up the road immediately in front of your vehicle means that the reflection off the road goes into people's eyes, as well as reduces the driver's long range vision. Legal lights are designed so they illuminate the road at a specific distance and angle so that it focuses the driver's eyes at that specific distance. This is why your fog lights turn off when you switch to high beams. In dot lights, the angle the light hits the road is calibrated so that the reflected light makes contact with oncoming traffic at a larger distance, ruducing glare.

Retrofits don't take these light patterns into consideration in their design, which is why they aren't approved.

Some food for thought. If you get found out to have illegal lights, which contribute to an accident; you're liable. Insurance companies can and will void your coverage, leaving you with hefty liabilities. Seems to me that it's not worth saving a few hundred dollars.
Mine do not light up directly in front of the vehicle, there is a good 10ft before the light starts. The output is nearly identical in intensity and pattern to the Acura TSX I compared it to.

There are a lot of things that we do to our jeeps that may make us liable and may contribute to an accident. Do you think Jeep intended stock brakes to stop 33 or 35" tires with a non-road friendly pattern? What about modifying the suspension geometry, raising the roll center, and making it harder to handle? Seems pretty unsafe to me. Stinger bumpers aren't exactly pedestrian friendly either. If you are against better lighting, you better be consistent and be against all modifications from stock at all.

Projectors only increase the safety of my jeep on the road by allowing me to see by ditching lighting technology from the 1940s (sealed beams). Any increase in danger or liability is far less than most modifications the average jeep owner does to their jeeps. I'd sooner be able to see a pedestrian crossing the road with my HID projectors, than kill them with a stinger bumper. The cost vs benefit is worth it to me.

Anyways, I don't remember OP asking about the legality of his lights.

·
Registered
91 Posts
We should all be considering legality of any mods. I 100% agree that most mods we do for offroad performance, are negated by poor on-road performance. The thing is that there are groups that don't like our passtime. Running illegal parts just gives them ammo to work against us.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Glare off the road. It's not just the upper cut off that blinds people. Lights are supposed to have a pattern that doesn't light up immediately in front of the vehicle. Lighting up the road immediately in front of your vehicle means that the reflection off the road goes into people's eyes, as well as reduces the driver's long range vision.

blah blah blah blah

You have no clue what you're talking about. HID projector retrofits do exactly all of what you are complaining about. They're all identical to the projectors built into cars from the factory. They have appropriate upper cut-offs. And they have appropriate foreground limiters for what you keep calling "glare off the road". And the notion of foreground light blinding oncoming traffic is absurd as well. It is an issue only for the driver of the equipped vehicle, not other drivers. HID projector retrofits are the safest and cleast upgrade you can do. In fact they are BETTER than factory normal headlights when it comes to glare.

Your complaint about bad lights is a valid one. But has nothing at all to do with HID projector retrofits. Anyone who has ever done one, used one, or looked at one would know this. You're accusations are simply wrong.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My parents just bought a new car with HID's from the factory and those suckers are brighter than mine. There are a ton of high end cars that run factory HID's that are bright. Just sayin.

·
Registered
91 Posts
You have no clue what you're talking about. HID projector retrofits do exactly all of what you are complaining about. They're all identical to the projectors built into cars from the factory. They have appropriate upper cut-offs. And they have appropriate foreground limiters for what you keep calling "glare off the road". And the notion of foreground light blinding oncoming traffic is absurd as well. It is an issue only for the driver of the equipped vehicle, not other drivers. HID projector retrofits are the safest and cleast upgrade you can do. In fact they are BETTER than factory normal headlights when it comes to glare.

Your complaint about bad lights is a valid one. But has nothing at all to do with HID projector retrofits. Anyone who has ever done one, used one, or looked at one would know this. You're accusations are simply wrong.
The glare of the road is because our roads often have frost, snow, and ice. The reflection sucks.

If they are identical, then why won't they claim them to be DOT legal?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
The glare of the road is because our roads often have frost, snow, and ice. The reflection sucks.

I guess nobody should drive a car with factory HID projectors if there is snow on the ground??

Please pay attention. The projectors people retrofit into headlights are the exact same as the ones that are in cars equipped with them from the factory. There is zero difference between the Lexus with factory projectors and my old Ford Ranger pickup truck that I retrofit the projectors into. Nothing. The same foreground limiter. The same upper cutoff. The same light, going the same places. Projectors will create less glare for the driver and other vehicles regardless of weather and road conditions. The light doesn't just attack other drivers because it doesn't see a DOT stamp on the housing.

Clearly you also do not comprehend how DOT standards work. The standards apply to an entire assembly, with all specific internal components, as manufactured, by a manufacturer, and then sold for use in the United States by a retailer, and/or installed by a shop. Bob Jones retrofitting parts to create a new assembly with different parts does not meet the criteria for certification. Bob is an end user, not a manufacturer, shop, or retailer. DOT standards do not apply to begin with to end users. However, the lighting performance will be the same as the assembly it was removed from or duplicated from. You will have DOT standard compliant light on your own custom assembly.

Furthermore, the DOT standards have absolutely nothing to do with what is legal for you as the end user to do with your car. They do not apply to you. They never have. They never will. You cannot be cited for violation of FMVSS section 318. You as end users are bound by your state law. Some states micic FMVSS to a T. Most make up their own and may or may not prohibit retrofits. Most regulate only color and positioning, not type.

·
Registered
91 Posts

I guess nobody should drive a car with factory HID projectors if there is snow on the ground??

Please pay attention. The projectors people retrofit into headlights are the exact same as the ones that are in cars equipped with them from the factory. There is zero difference between the Lexus with factory projectors and my old Ford Ranger pickup truck that I retrofit the projectors into. Nothing. The same foreground limiter. The same upper cutoff. The same light, going the same places. Projectors will create less glare for the driver and other vehicles regardless of weather and road conditions. The light doesn't just attack other drivers because it doesn't see a DOT stamp on the housing.

Clearly you also do not comprehend how DOT standards work. The standards apply to an entire assembly, with all specific internal components, as manufactured, by a manufacturer, and then sold for use in the United States by a retailer, and/or installed by a shop. Bob Jones retrofitting parts to create a new assembly with different parts does not meet the criteria for certification. Bob is an end user, not a manufacturer, shop, or retailer. DOT standards do not apply to begin with to end users. However, the lighting performance will be the same as the assembly it was removed from or duplicated from. You will have DOT standard compliant light on your own custom assembly.

Furthermore, the DOT standards have absolutely nothing to do with what is legal for you as the end user to do with your car. They do not apply to you. They never have. They never will. You cannot be cited for violation of FMVSS section 318. You as end users are bound by your state law. Some states micic FMVSS to a T. Most make up their own and may or may not prohibit retrofits. Most regulate only color and positioning, not type.
I don't live in the USA. We have different rules here. The biggest issues are with poor installs. If they can be done right, I wouldn't care. I just avoided the HID issue by getting truck-lite LED headlights.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Fact remains all the stuff you said about retrofits is false. It doesn't matter where you live, the light will do the same thing. Your laws can be whatever they are and that's what you need to abide by.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
OP - did either of my suggestions help?

Hope he didn't get scared off...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts