Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 JKU Basic model Standard audio package with connectivity.

I just ordered JL Audio CP108LG-W3v3 8" Sub and the Kicker IX Series Black 5 Channel Power Amplifier. I'm wondering if anyone has used the hidden compartment where the spare tools are located for placement of audio equipment? I want to avoid mounting under the seat because I want to get as much protection from the elements as possible. I also plan on taking out my carpet and rear seat and doing a bed liner. Has anyone done that as well and kept the hidden compartment? Very interested to hear input and see if anyone has done something similar. For those of you wondering I also have the Polk DB6501 components for my front speakers and tweeters, and the DB651s for my soundbar speakers. I'll be doing all the work myself and am a total Jeep newbie so I'll take photos and give my input so that others who want to do the same can gauge their comfort in doing this on their own and save big money.

·
Registered
269 Posts
JL makes the stealthbox

If you don't have the factory sub it fits right in to that area. It comes with a 10" sub and has a place to put an amp built in to it.

It looks better than the sub enclosure you ordered, has a bigger woofer and allows you to easily place the amp where you want to.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JL makes the stealthbox

If you don't have the factory sub it fits right in to that area. It comes with a 10" sub and has a place to put an amp built in to it.

It looks better than the sub enclosure you ordered, has a bigger woofer and allows you to easily place the amp where you want to.
Thanks for your reply, I had looked at this earlier and it's made for the JK not the JKU and it leaves a 5" bump in height to the floor for that particular location. I am looking into using the slots where the rear seats are located after I take them out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Probably not going to help you since you already ordered, but one of those other jeep forums show sub mounted in that location for 2015.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Yeah, that bump is why I didn't go that route. With a 2dr and the way the seats incline it'd make the back pretty much useless.
If you're just looking to drop an amp in that space in the back. I've seen a post where a guy built a box that went in the spot where the rear seat was. It wasn't bedlined though, it was made of wood and carpeted; it also had a sub in it. I can't find the post.

Have you thought of just getting an amp small enough to mount under the dash?
There's a good deal of space under the steering column and on the glove compartment side. I plan on mounting my 3sixty.3 under the steering column. It's about the same size as the JL 6 Channel amp I got.
I've seen pictures of a Alpine PDX 5 channel mounted under there on a wrangler.

All that being said, most amps and audio equipment aren't too sensitive to getting a little wet. For the most part, a little rain shouldn't hurt them.

If I had a 4dr I'd get this thing and call it a day

It costs $50, fits under the passenger seat and keeps the amp off the floor.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, that bump is why I didn't go that route. With a 2dr and the way the seats incline it'd make the back pretty much useless.
If you're just looking to drop an amp in that space in the back. I've seen a post where a guy built a box that went in the spot where the rear seat was. It wasn't bedlined though, it was made of wood and carpeted; it also had a sub in it. I can't find the post.

There's a good deal of space under the steering column and on the glove compartment side. I plan on mounting my 3sixty.3 under the steering column. It's about the same size as the JL 6 Channel amp I got.

All that being said, most amps and audio equipment aren't too sensitive to getting a little wet. For the most part, a little rain shouldn't hurt them.

That was my original intent. But the more I thought about it I didn't want it to be so exposed to potential damage by accident. Also to a common thief the false floor with hidden compartments won't be easily seen and even if noticed I will have locks on them so it should help with a smash and grab defense. I think I'm just going to have to shop around locally to see if I can get someone to cut me some steel or something strong enough to hold my body weight when I lay on it in back. I wish I had a damn garage I'd do it myself!

Thanks for the input though, we seem to have the same ideas during the brain storming process!

·
Registered
10,332 Posts
I'm wondering if anyone has used the hidden compartment where the spare tools are located for placement of audio equipment?
Jeep will be, for the 2015 models. :D

·
Registered
13 Posts

I have one of these with a Sound Ordnance B-8PTD mounted to it under the drivers seat. It gives me enough bass I can hear and feel but not enough to wake the neighborhood. I'm planning to add another one to the passenger side.

-Deke

·
Registered
344 Posts
Anyone believe there's a way to build a box for an amp to be mounted underneath the body above the driveshaft? Drilling a couple holes up through the floor into the cargo area could provide some airflow and maybe space for cables up to the sub / other speakers.

Pros are;
- no smash & grab
- no loss of space for amps

Cons;
- could be tough to manually adjust the amps
- potential for stray rock / water damage if not sealed up well

I'm about done with the stock infinity system and have a couple of 1990s hifonics amps that draw upwards of 60 amps @ 12v that just rocked and I'd love having that back, just not sure where to mount those bad boys w/o losing valuable cargo space when I take the family on vacation.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Been looking for one of those . Thanks for posting that link! Just ordered one
No problem. I used one under my drivers seat.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts