Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my tail gate wasn't liking my 31" spare, so i took it off and just threw it in the back of the jeep. then i had this idea to make this trunk/ tire carrier/ hi-lift mount.

it the jeeps tailgate acts as the trunk's door. and since the tailgate can only open from the outside and with the key, i'm thinking my stuff will be safe inside with the top down. i used the stock tire carrier and just bolted it to the wood. the hi-lift will bolt with a wing-nut in the same place it is in the pic.

i also measured it so it's corners match up with the rear seat bracket holes. so i'll be using some type of L brackets to bolt it down using those holes. i'll either paint or bedline it as well and call it good.

i'll post more pics when i finish.

·
Registered
128 Posts
interesting idea, i had a buddy who mounted his spare on his steel security box for the rear, but those are stupid expensive, kinda want one though.

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
alrighty, finished it. sorta. haven't mounted it to the floor yet, but it so heavy it doesn't move. so i think i'll just leave it.

i did close it off in the back after all. made a "deposit slot" to put small items inside while sitting in the front seats. put some padding to make it look nice. also added a little mount for the star bar wrench. over all i'm very happy with it. only down side is that there's no way a 33" spare will fit back there. it will now, but i'm welding a harness bar for 4-points in a few days and that will barley fit with the 31. but, 33's are in the far distance future for me, so for now, it's awesome.

·
Registered
504 Posts
nice idea, has me thinking about options for an aluminum frame/sheet metal covered drawer I'm planning for mine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts