Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the intention of helping the community, this is my experience:

As headlights are NOT optional, it would be very unusual for the low beam to just stop working. If you have fog lights, the part of the switch controlling them may often go bad first but not so for the low beam switch.

If you are convinced that your multifuction switch is still OK, the one place to look at would be the wiring harness connector into the MFS. The connector will often disintegrate with time, causing shorts (and even blown fuses).

The remedy is:

Dorman 645-206 Pigtail Connector - Multi Function Switch

You do not need to use the wires the connector comes with. Carefully removing the brace in front of the NEW connector will let you have access to the very small retaining clips which you will lift and release the wires one by one and pull them out.

NOW, DISCONNECT THE BATTERY!

Assuming that you already accessed the MFS, after making notes of what color goes where, (writing it down twice or more!!) remove the wires from the old connector, which will probably crumble between your fingers and, transfer them to the new one.

Put the brace back AFTER testing it and do the final install.

If, after installation, something is suddenly not working - like parking lights - it means that you forgot to disconnect the battery during the process and blew a fuse.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I would start with the simple stuff first. Start with checking the fuses. Is the battery sufficiently charged? A weak battery can do strange things to a vehicle's electrical system. Then, there is always a chance that the low beams on each side just burned out. Take a multi-meter to the plug at the bulb first to confirm that you are, or are not getting power to the low beam before moving on to more complicated possibilities. That may save you a whole lot of time and heartache.

·
Registered
45 Posts
👍 on all tips above. I replaced the multi function switch for second time a few weeks back. Next time I will have to replace that connector. Other tip take a dz. photos of the connector from every angle possible too just in case. First one that quit on me I had no turn signals, this one it was headlights hi / low.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts