Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1987 has an issue with the high beam. I can turn it on but to turn it off I have to go through my left and right turn signal before I turn it off. Same with turning it on. Is the switch for the two part of the same assembly?

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
Yes, turn signals and high/low beams are on the same assembly in the steering column.

The high/low beam switch itself is actually mounted on the top of the steering column down under the dash. A rod runs up the column to the turn signal switch that activates it.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Also if the pivot pin is loose on the wiper switch it can prevent the lever from moving the rod to the dimmer switch.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll take a look at the pivot pin and I heard there is a screw that can come loose that if tightened can help the problem sometimes. I also heard that if I do have to replace the switch, it's kind of a pain. It was recommended that I actually cut the wires of the new switch and feed through the column and reattach them after feeding through rather than disassemble the whole column.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
DO NOT cut and splice any wires in the steering column even good splices can fail causing a whole lot of bad things to happen (shorts and fire). Take the time and disassemble as necessary and do the job the right way not the hack way. I just changed out the turn signal switch and the wiper switch in less than an hour. If you take the upper column bracket off and the plastic conduit the wires run in its a snap.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts