Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know how to keep the fog lights on when the high beams are on. Is there a kit or some type of wiring to do to fix this?

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
If you need the fogs on, you are in a situation where you need the high beams to NOT be on...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you need the fogs on, you are in a situation where you need the high beams to NOT be on...
I live in a very rural area and on dark roads its nice to have the road right in front of you lighted just like the road further ahead of you. So we aren't talking foggy driving just trying to throw more light on dark roads or trails.

·
..shall not be infringed!
4,666 Posts
MCS013 is right, IMO. The stock high beams leave quite a large unlit area right in front of the Jeep. Kind of unsettling on dark, curvy, rural roads with brush/trees close to the shoulder.

Unfortunately, some gov. regulator, who knows better than us, decided it just wasn't fair to have too much light to drive by, even if it's not affecting other drivers, so fogs and high beams have been illegal for a good long time. No good reason for it, just is.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Up Hill Bill knows his stuff. The Feds won't allow both to be on and all US compliant vehicles are wired to prevent it. I know that the Ford Super Duty has an aftermarket harness to bypass the system, but I have never seen one for a JK.

A pair of aftermarket true fog lights from Cibie, Hella, PIAA, etc. properly mounted would be far more effective than the factory lights and allow you to turn them on and off independently of the headlight circuit.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I live in a very rural area and on dark roads its nice to have the road right in front of you lighted just like the road further ahead of you. So we aren't talking foggy driving just trying to throw more light on dark roads or trails.

Every time I see this question asked, someone responds with some version of "you are stupid for wanting this"...as if most of us don't know that high beams in fog are a bad idea. Yeah, it's pretty safe to assume that most of us know that. ;)

MSCO13 is dead on. I had my TJ setup this way for years...as do many others...because the mod is so simple on a TJ. You just pull the fog relay, bend one pin, and drop it back in. While it may not be legal in some/all states, I never flunked a state inspection once...in 12 years of driving it modded that way.

It rocks on a dark country road. The fogs light up the side of the road and the high beams light up what is in front. Of course, the stock fogs are outboard of the headlights on a TJ....so there is that.

Unfortunately, the fancy electronic bus on JKs makes it pretty much impossible without rewiring the lights....and that hardly seems worth it when you can just add on some additional lighting.

·
Registered
284 Posts
MCS013 is right, IMO. The stock high beams leave quite a large unlit area right in front of the Jeep. Kind of unsettling on dark, curvy, rural roads with brush/trees close to the shoulder.

Unfortunately, some gov. regulator, who knows better than us, decided it just wasn't fair to have too much light to drive by, even if it's not affecting other drivers, so fogs and high beams have been illegal for a good long time. No good reason for it, just is.
Only playing devil's advocate here, not trying to start a war, but actually there is a very good reason for it. The obvious point of high beams is to be able to see better at farther distances than your low beams allowed. Turning your fog lights on will light up that empty area right in front of your Jeep giving the illusion of better visibility, but in reality it is causing your eyes to dilate to match the closer lighting rendering you much less able to see any dark items that are being illuminated by your high beams, basically rendering them less than pointless. Try it yourself sometime, or Google it. That gap in lighting in front of your vehicle with the high beams on is actually intentional, for that reason, and even though it seems unnerving, anything you would see that close under normal high beam driving conditions would be too close for you to react to anyway.

That being said, I still don't agree with it being a disabled feature, especially on Jeeps where extra lighting at very slow speeds is a very common want. But in the typical highway driving situation it's actually less safe to have the extra light.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Hi from Sweden

Strange, in on setting I can have booth foglights and highbeams on. I offen use it at night when there are no cars, the visibility improves. But I have an European wrangler and it also have Hella H4 as stock here in Europe.

Are You really sure that you can not have them together, I dont remember my setting for it.

Anyway, I have a movie here that shows my jeep with different lights. Se it in 1080p and enlarge the movie to cover the screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hw8P2_EOIJU

·
Registered
284 Posts
I could be a little off on these numbers but when I first got my Jeep I looked into it and I think I recall reading that using your fog lights reduces your long distance vision by 55%, and they are only beneficial if you are traveling at less than 20mph. Or something like that.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Drive in a dust storm, heavy snow, smoke, or fog and you'll quickly learn why it's a failed idea.

If you need to see long distances in darkness, you need driving lights, not the marginal Jeep high beam headlights.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I find it is generally better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I like aircraft landing lights on the front of mine!!!!!!:D:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts