Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a high flow muffler similar to the magnaflow. I was wondering...

Since the flow is much higher than stock, do I need to do anything to the tuning to keep it from running too rich? I know it would be a trip to the shop to have them reprogram the mixtures. Or will the ECM sense the change and make the setting adjustments for me?

I only installed the muffler because I couldn't hear the engine running. 50 year old ears are getting tired I guess...

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
No need to do anything else. The computer will adjust accordingly... But I am going to guess not much adjustment is needed for a "high flow" muffler.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool, thanks! Just asked because the guy at the parts store said I should have someone tune it up after I install it. I have never had to do it before with this type muffler on my other vehicles. I have used the same muffler on three other trucks and never had an issue. I told him that, be he said these Wranglers are a little picky and this would make it run lean and could burn out the O2 sensor etc... So I came to the Wrangler experts for advice or clarification.

BTW... New to the forum. Thanks for your reply!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Welcome! I have a Cold Air Intake and a cat back full exhaust system on my 2014. No adjustment was needed for me either. Sounds great now, my install was for the same reason, I was not noticing I needed to shift, too quiet! As with you the 70's were hard on my ears!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great! Now I just have to figure out the loose steering. It is stock suspension but the "Dead zone" is big and bumps will pull me into oncoming traffic or off the road if I am not careful. Otherwise the Jeep is perfect. Only has 66K miles on it. Low for a 2008.

·
Registered
36 Posts
What muffler did you go with? I am looking to make a swap so the giant factory muffler isn't hanging out the bottom of my Jeep.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have been running a variation of the Thrush 17659 universal 2.5" welded mufflers in my past 3 trucks. This makes the 4th one. It sounds pretty decent and it is not loud, just low tone. I don't get that terrible hum that drones you out of the cab with some mufflers I tried. Best of all it is a cheap bolt on solution if you are handy with fabricating some pipes and hangers yourself. Mine is tucked up even with the frame and can barely be seen unless you bend over to look. The whole thing cost me less than 100 bucks and a day to play with the parts and get them installed. I am disabled, so it takes me a lot longer than it used to when I was a capable young man. ;-)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lets see if this works to add pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is what this muffler sounds like on a 2010 Chevy Camaro.
I don't know how to record mine yet.

Here is the link to the sound clips for their different models. Mine is the Welded model.

Thrush Muffler Recordings

·
Premium Member
9,624 Posts
Mike watch that flex pipe. I don't think it is going to hold up to long.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know about the flex pipe. It actually only spans about a 2 inch gap. The issue I had was that the flex back would flex until I strategically placed a few additional hangers. Plus I just did that until I can get to the welder.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have gotten many compliments on how it sounds. It is funny how many heads turn when we drive the Jeeps by. I overheard one kid yell to his buddies, "That Jeep is wicked!" when I pulled up to the stop sign in front of his house with the top off. I revved it a little bit and he went nuts. I chuckled and drove on. Grinning ear to ear! I feel like a kid again when I drive my Jeep.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts