Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a 95 YJ with a 2.5L. My fuel pressure on the rail with key-on-engine-off is 36 pi. When running at idle the pressure jumps to 80 psi, oscillating between 75 and 85. Disconnecting the vacuum line to the regulator has no effect on the pressure.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
12,662 Posts
I have a carbureted 6cyl. so I can't be of much help.

What I can suggest is to find a post by MudMagnetYJ and look in his signature.
There you will find a link to several factory service Manuals. Find the FSM closest to your year Jeep and click on it. Find the section about 2.5 engines and look in the troubleshooting section if there is one or find the fuel section and look there.

Hopefully if nobody offers a better suggestion you will be able to suss out your issue in the FSM.

BTW, Welcome to the forum.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
Disconnect your fuel return line and have it go into a gas can to catch the flow. Does the fuel pressure read normal like that?

If you remove the gas cap, does it read normal?

The tanks can collapse with age or other issues and jams the fuel return pipe into the bottom of the tank which seals it off and it essentially give the system high blood pressure.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update,

Thanks Luckymac for the link to the shop manual.

DREDnot, I tested the fuel pressure with the gas cap off and it was still high.

I then disconnected the return line at the gas tank and hooked a hose up to the line to drain it in a bucket. When I started the engine the pressure was normal and gas was flowing into the bucket.

So I figure the blockage is in the tank. If I recall you have a post regarding this, I will reread it. Any other hints you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just to close this thread for someone in the future.

The return line in the tank was blocked by the bottom of the tank as is discussed in other posts. The tank wasn't warped as much as the plastic tray at the bottom of the tank that was warped thereby blocking return line outlet.

I cut 5/8" off the bottom of the metal return line. I also cut about 1/2" off the rubber nipple and cut an opening on the side of the rubber nipple in case it contacts the tray again.

Once everything was together fuel pressure was perfect.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts