Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed when the humidity is high my ac compressor kicks on even though the ac button is off? I can be cruising along with just the vent on, it starts raining and then the air gets really cold like the compressor kicks on. So is there a humidity sensor that turns it on to keep the windows clear?

·
Premium Member
9,779 Posts
I've noticed when the humidity is high my ac compressor kicks on even though the ac button is off? I can be cruising along with just the vent on, it starts raining and then the air gets really cold like the compressor kicks on. So is there a humidity sensor that turns it on to keep the windows clear?
Is your Jeep's name Christine?

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow! How'd you know that?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2016 Sahara and I noticed the same thing the other day on mine. We had one of our first humid days after a short rain and I noticed cold air start blowing from the vents even though the AC was off.

·
Registered
271 Posts
My 2011 did this 2 days ago during a downpour. First time ever, I just wanted outside air but it was straight up ac. Must have turned my air off & on for 5 minutes, finally gave up. Same weather yesterday & completely normal

·
Registered
314 Posts
Mine has climate control and I know it does have a humidity sensor so maybe that is why it came on. I have mine set to auto auto on the 2 knobs.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Sahara model has a humidity sensor, but you have a Sport...so next...

what was your air directional setting on? if it's on any of the type of defrost settings, by default it kicks the compressor on

·
Registered
329 Posts
Yup my 13 sport did it, thought it was actually something wrong. Traded for my 15 rubicon and yup it does it too. So I'd say it's completely normal. Also no auto climate controls on either jeep.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
GOT DOORS?
568 Posts
Mine has been doing it since I purchased it new. Sport S no auto controls (maybe not an option).

Does not matter how my vents are set, besides any defrost settings. Thought it was broken, but nothing has changed over the years.

I usually notice it if air temp about 60 and humidity is high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Just happened to me last week during some torrential downpours.
The Ac kicked in automatically and I don't have auto climate nor was the knob setting in defrost.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My controls are not the auto climate just the manual. The settings were on just vent. I knew it would come on in defrost, but it surprised me when it did it in vent mode. First few times it came on I'm like dang something's wrong with my ac. Actually the first time it did it I thought wow it really got cold suddenly outside. I'm glad to know "Christine" wasn't just demonstrating here strength.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
so with all of Toledo's quality assurance brilliance recently...have they been installing humidity sensors in ALL Jeeps now by mistake and not just the auto climate Sahara models? LMFAO

·
Registered
115 Posts
I checked to owners manual to see when the A/C engages without user selection. Not sure if it applies to anyone's conditions, but here it is just in case:

• The air conditioning compressor operates in Mix, Defrost, or a blend of these modes, even if the Air Conditioning (A/C) button is not pressed. This dehumidifies the air to help dry the windshield. To improve fuel economy, use these modes only when necessary.

• The A/C will engage automatically to prevent fogging when the recirculation button is pressed and the mode control is set to panel or Bi-Level.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I hunted in the manual for that info and never found it. Guess I just didn't look hard enough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
The full term for air conditioning is Heating Ventilating and Air CONDITIONING (HVAC). Note that they use the term air conditioning and not air cooling.

Removing humidity is part of the 'conditioning' that's done to the air.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts