Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 jeep wrangler x. i hope that helps i've never owned a jeep before. Every noww and then it will idel up to sometime 3000 rpm. I can shut it off and crank it back up and it will idel fine. Can anyone tell me how to fix this. Thanks for any help JJ

·
Registered
479 Posts
Sounds like the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) may be on its last leg. Assuming you dont know where that is. The TPS is located right off the Throttle body facing towards the firewall. Look up a diagram of it off google for further information on its location just search Jeep 4.0 TPS. In the mean time you can clean out the throttle body being a 2002 it probably needs it, just use any throttle body cleaner for the job.

·
Registered
16 Posts
if you have one on your model jeep it could be the idle air control valve they can make the motor rev 1800 to 3000 if bad just make sure to proper;y adjust the new one if it needs replacement

·
Knows a couple things...
49,623 Posts
I have a 2002 jeep wrangler x. i hope that helps i've never owned a jeep before. Every noww and then it will idel up to sometime 3000 rpm. I can shut it off and crank it back up and it will idel fine. Can anyone tell me how to fix this. Thanks for any help JJ
A high idle like that is usually caused by a vacuum leak. When there is a vacuum leak, it lets air into the engine just as if you were stepping on the gas pedal.

Did the previous owner ever replace the exhaust header? If so, that can allow the intake manifold to leak air which is often not reseated properly during the exhaust header replacement process.

Or it could be a cracked/split vacuum hose somewhere, there are vacuum hoses at various places like leading to the power brake booster and HVAC system.

A bad TPS will not usually cause high RPMs like this...

·
Registered
274 Posts
mine like to go up when its cold about 2k, I am sure its the idle air valve. a bad tps will cause bad drivability like kicking and bucking and not all ways will it trow a code

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the info. there is no lights on in the dash. i got the jeep used and not sure what has been dont to it. some days it idles fine and other days its crazy. yesterday and today its been idleing crazy and have had to shut it off at the red lights.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts