Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes when starting my Jeep, it idles high and won't settle down even after warmed up. The only way to get it to idle down is to push down the throttle lever.

Am I engaging some mode, or is it just sticking?

https://youtu.be/sor8rLEwa1M

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sometimes when starting my Jeep, it idles high and won't settle down even after warmed up. The only way to get it to idle down is to push down the throttle lever.

Am I engaging some mode, or is it just sticking?

https://youtu.be/sor8rLEwa1M
Not sure why my sig didn't show up.

·
Super Moderator
10,865 Posts
When you go to start a cold carbureted engine the process is as follows:
1- Turn key to "on" position
2- Step on gas pedal to the floor and release it.
3- Turn key to "start" and crank until it starts.
If it doesn't start quickly, press gas pedal again once.
4- Once vehicle is started, allow it to warm up a bit (3-5 minutes) at high idle
5- depress gas pedal and idle should be normal

If the above describes what's going on when you start your Jeep, it's normal, assuming your choke is set correctly. Every vehicle gains it's own idiosyncrasies as it ages. Add to that a non-stock carb and exhaust and your particular Jeep might be a bit different from what I state above.

When you state that "The only way to get it to idle down is to push down on the throttle lever" do you mean step 5? Or do you mean you have to manipulate the throttle linkage?

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When you go to start a cold carbureted engine the process is as follows:
1- Turn key to "on" position
2- Step on gas pedal to the floor and release it.
3- Turn key to "start" and crank until it starts.
If it doesn't start quickly, press gas pedal again once.
4- Once vehicle is started, allow it to warm up a bit (3-5 minutes) at high idle
5- depress gas pedal and idle should be normal
The above is my normal process for starting my Jeep in the morning.

However, on random occasions, when I start my Jeep, it idles higher at @1500 RPM and will not idle back down once it warms up. The only way to get it to idle down is to open the hood and push down on the throttle linkage (thanks for the words).

When you state that "The only way to get it to idle down is to push down on the throttle lever" do you mean step 5? Or do you mean you have to manipulate the throttle linkage?

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Premium Member
2,812 Posts
You could also check to see if the little nylon bushing on the cable at the accelerator pedal is loose enough to occasionally get hung up enough to keep cable from sliding back all the way, or maybe try a little stronger return spring.

Reactions: rushwal
1 - 6 of 6 Posts