Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to justify a High-Lift jack purchase but I'm not sold. My 05' Rubicon has 2" of lift and Warn bumpers front and rear. I guess what I am getting at is I don't have any real good spots to jack with. The bumpers taper in at the bottom so the lifting foot on the jack wouldn't reach. I don't have rocker panel guards other than the stock Rubicon ones. They pretty much look useless for jacking and I know jacking on the body wouldn't be good.

What are your opinions? What jacking points do you use on your Jeep? Is a High-Lift worth having?

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
a hi-lift can be one of those very very valiable things, depending how bad you're stuck. but most of the time a winch will get you out of everything a hi-lift would.

i've had a hi-lift for a long time. never once needed it off-road, mostly used it for farm/ranch/property type stuff. i've got a friend who's used his a few times to get his truck out of mud holes in the mountains when snow or rain came in fast and hard.

i can save your butt big time if you wheel backcountry wilderness stuff.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like what I am reading so far and that special bumper attachment looks like it would work well with my bumper. I'll have too look further into the other accessories. I do run a lot of back woods wilderness type trails. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dang there are a lot of different gizmo's for a Hi-Lift. I think you all have me pretty much sold on getting one. :D

·
Registered
7,150 Posts
Waste of money. A good bottle jack is all you need, especially if you have a winch.

·
Registered
871 Posts
farm and fleet has their brand for less than half the $ of a hi lift. It may or may not be as good, but since you'll probably rarely need it (but be grateful you got one when you do) how much abuse is it really going to take?

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
farm and fleet has their brand for less than half the $ of a hi lift. It may or may not be as good, but since you'll probably rarely need it (but be grateful you got one when you do) how much abuse is it really going to take?
the cheap chinese version eliminates half the things the hi-lift is useful for since you can't take the handle off.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,374 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is that if you ever need a Hi-Lift while offroading, there will usually be 50 of 'em within a quarter mile of you with their owners running up to your stuck Jeep with theirs to help you out. Same with a winch.

Personally, I stopped carrying my Hi-Lift years ago and converted it to a home for my backyard shed's resident black widow spider. Over the past 15 years, I think I needed one just once and there were 3-4 of them within 100' feet of me. I carry tools, spare parts, and recovery gear that are far more useful.

No one in the couple groups I wheel with bother carrying Hi-Lifts anymore. You certainly don't need one to change up to even 35-37" tires. Using them as a winch is more of a joke than anything, try using one as a winch sometime. :)

·
Registered
7,150 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is that if you ever need a Hi-Lift while offroading, there will usually be 50 of 'em within a quarter mile of you with their owners running up to your stuck Jeep with theirs to help you out. Same with a winch.

Personally, I stopped carrying my Hi-Lift years ago and converted it to a home for my backyard shed's resident black widow spider. Over the past 15 years, I think I needed one just once and there were 3-4 of them within 100' feet of me. I carry tools, spare parts, and recovery gear that are far more useful.

No one in the couple groups I wheel with bother carrying Hi-Lifts anymore. You certainly don't need one to change up to even 35-37" tires. Using them as a winch is more of a joke than anything, try using one as a winch sometime. :)
Agreed. Mine is a hat rack in my garage. Bottle jack is the way to go.

·
Registered
7,150 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts