Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, still on my search for a Jeep. Came across this one about an hour and fifteen minutes away:97 Jeep Wrangler Sahara lifted 33s

Only thing that concerns me is the mileage, which is 180k. I know the I6's run for a very long time if taken care of, and he says it runs great. Is this too high of mileage? Too high of a price?

He says its got no issues. The frame has been patched in a couple spots, but he says it completely free of rust now. Any advice you guys have would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ryan

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
I'd be more concerned about frame patches & rust than the motor. Price is little strong for the milage & previous work. I'd look her over real good before I made any kind of offer. I6's are reliable motors, but how reliable depends on the maintenance. I would go in expecting some type of rebuild by 250k.

·
Registered
307 Posts
i would keep on looking man. Sure it might run good now, who knows could go on you at ANYTIME... just my opinion

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I actually offered him 6k if everything checked out (and I havent seen it yet, so not 100% sure) and he told me he'd take it, he'd just remove the winch.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd be more concerned about frame patches & rust than the motor. Price is little strong for the milage & previous work. I'd look her over real good before I made any kind of offer. I6's are reliable motors, but how reliable depends on the maintenance. I would go in expecting some type of rebuild by 250k.
Yeah I plan on looking the frame over VERY well, in this area theyre all rotted out. Wranglers in general, except for the new ones, are pretty hard to find around here. Then the ones you do find usually have rust issues.

·
Registered
340 Posts
What's your cost for failure in this decision? If you can talk him down, say, to $5.5k, and would be ok with $1500 in repairs, then a jeep with an initial outlay of $7k may not be too bad knowing that some repairs are going to be needed. But paying $7k and then dishing out more right away would be more than what I'd do.

The major variable here likely isn't the miles, but the maintenance to get to those high miles...and this you will never know other than general condition of the Jeep, or by having a good mechanic inspect it.

However, with those miles, I'd talk him down if you are ok with the risk.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah i'm somewhat worried just because its hard to tell with things going on you, and I really dont have much to spend on repairs if I spend that much on the Jeep. He said he's had it for a year and drove it about 12,000 miles, so it looks like it runs good, but its hard to tell.

I have 6k bottom line to spend, so in order to have a little bit of a backup savings, I'd have to get him down to around 5-5300. I told him I didnt want to waste time and that I had no more than 6k to spend, and he said hed take 6. Realistically, is going down to 5k or so too low of an offer on the Jeep?

·
Registered
340 Posts
At times like this I reflect upon the wisdom of Forrest Gump: "Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."

Under $6k seems like a decent deal if:
1. You can get it at that price
2. It doesn't turn out to be a clunker

You can only influence #1. So if you can risk #2 with some cash buffer in reserves, may not be a bad buy. You may even be able to drive it a couple of years and get most of your purchase price back if it still runs well.

However, keep in mind that it may likely need something major over the next few years. No used car is ever without its risks. And jeeps this old generally are project vehicles, so basic maintenance (e.g., cash) and elbow grease will be required.

I've always bought cars in the 50k-80k miles range, and have been VERY lucky, even though I've had to replace transmissions, radiators, etc on occasion within the first couple of years. My Chevy Suburban 2500 has 180k miles, and with the exception of a slow rear main seal leak that I will eventually fix myself (or not), I hope it goes to 300k miles.

But your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bump - Talked to him again, told him I needed some spare cash ($500) in case something goes. I'm in college and I've got a job waiting tables, I cant afford to have something break and not get to school/work, and even though it looks very clean, with those miles it really is a gamble.

Offered him $5500 max without seeing it, he told me $5750. Hasn't texted me back after I told him $5500 was best I could do, maybe he'll take it.

Should I be considering it for that price? Its about an hour and twenty minutes away, so Its a bit of a drive which is why I want to tell him what I'm working with and my max price before going out there. It's just that I see a lot of Jeeps with high mileage like that, and I dont want to miss a good deal on an actually good vehicle because I was too concerned with the miles it has.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Its got a lift, big tires and a winch. The fact it has 180K miles probably indicates it is all working. And 180K is not excessive. If he has the maintenance records, if it is not rusted out, I'd say it is a good buy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Its got a lift, big tires and a winch. The fact it has 180K miles probably indicates it is all working. And 180K is not excessive. If he has the maintenance records, if it is not rusted out, I'd say it is a good buy.

Winch would actually be removed for that price, but thats not a big deal for me. I wouldnt use it to do anything offroad that would probably warrant a winch. I'm just looking for a good daily driver Wrangler, if I had a Jeep i'm sure I'd take it in the woods down some light trails but I have no plans on doing any major offroading.

·
Registered
295 Posts
The frame has already been patched so bring a hammer and a screwdriver with you when you go to check it out. I don't mean beat his frame to hell but give it a good once over. Paint and undercoat can hide a lot. Make sure you check the heater on all speeds, wipers etc... all good bargaining points on final price.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I don't think 180,000 on an 17/18 year old vehicle is bad..it's about 10k a year. I have a 97 ZJ with the same engine pushing 300k and it's still going.

I agree what others say and check the frame for known rust issues. I just bought an 02 with 130k for 7000..it was mostly stock.

·
Registered
17 Posts
its not the miles i would worry about - my old TJ had $250k and NO issues. as others have indicated on this thread, look at the frame, general condition of the vehicle and rust (oh and the interior). if all of that is in a condition you can live with go for it...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts