Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm still searching for a Wrangler and I came across this one: 1989 YJ Wrangler

One of the things that jumped out at me was he said the body has 225k miles. Is this something to be scared of? It looks like its in good shape, says the body and frame are solid. Engine was supposedly rebuilt about 75k miles ago, doesnt say anything about the transmission though. Is this too high of a price? Should I not bother with this one at all because of the miles? Still new to this Jeep thing, but you guys have been a huge help so far so any advice would be appreciated.

Also, I need something that can keep up on the highway. 65-70. I know the 4.2's arent as powerful as the 4.0's, but think this Jeep would do ok at those speeds with the 33" tires? I know its not built for speed, I just want to be able to be able to drive on the highway.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
I think you can get alot better for that price.

What purposes do you have planned for your Jeep? do you need a lifted Jeep with 33" tires or are you just using to get from A-B?
A stock Jeep will handle better on the highway if that's its primary use, as well a stock Jeep is already very capable.
Next a personal note.. I would never (buy) a Jeep the was lined, unless I saw what was under the lining prior.. it could be held together with spit and baling wire ;)

just my 2 cents

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Actually 225k miles for a 25 year old vehicle is below average mileage. Average mileage is calculated at 12k per year so a 25 year old vehicle should have 300k on it. Our jeeps are all over 20 years old by now and most have well over 100k on them. I would be less concerned about the mileage as I would the general condition of the vehicle. If mileage is a concern I would suggest looking at much newer models because most 2010 models out there have almost 110k on them by now. My 1995 is considered a low miler @ 123k but I have had to rebuild or replace just about every system in it. If I ever sell mine the price will be over $10,000.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.