Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
oil changed recently ,just noticed oil pressure going to 80,is this a problem with the oil sending unit or what.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
What year JK do you have? If you have a 2014, make sure you have the correct filter. The filter for the 2014 models was chanced for 2014 and using a filter for a 2013 will cause the check engine light to come on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is a 4.0 6 cyl. 2001 Jeep Sahara.
110,000 miles on it.
It is always slow getting pressure in the past, but after oil change, I have an 80 PSI.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
That happens on older TJ's and especially on YJ's. The sending units aren't that accurate. It happens most often after an oil change or until the engine heats up to operating temperature. If you're still concerned about it hook up a mechanical gauge, but it's normal. You can always replace the sending unit if a mechanical gauge indicates the correct pressure.

·
Registered
156 Posts
That happens on older TJ's and especially on YJ's. The sending units aren't that accurate. It happens most often after an oil change or until the engine heats up to operating temperature. If you're still concerned about it hook up a mechanical gauge, but it's normal. You can always replace the sending unit if a mechanical gauge indicates the correct pressure.
I changed mine today and still reading the same...I guess it's ok you think ?

·
Super Moderator
7,626 Posts
How do I add a mechanical gauge
The one I'm referring to gets screwed in where the oil pressure sending unit is. You can buy a mechanical gauge strictly for testing purposes and remove it after you checked the oil pressure.

It looks something like this, Engine Oil Pressure Test Kit

HF sells them as well as Sears or any good automotive tool supplier.

These are for permanent installation, they can be plumbed in to the hole were the oil sending unit goes, along with the factory oil pressure gauge.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/search/Gauge+-+Oil+Pressure+(Universal)/N0528/C0134.oap

1 - 13 of 13 Posts