Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so my new 1994 yj with the 4.0 manual is showing really high oil pressure at idle but when I speed up it lowers to normal levels. Is this normal or should I be concerned? Yes, the engine burns a little oil and leaks a little but hat should lead to high pressure right?

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
The sending units are known for going bad and reading high i would replace the sender and see if it helps

Reactions: rushwal

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The sending units are known for going bad and reading high i would replace the sender and see if it helps
Is the sender bad? Like as far as doing its job? Or is it just giving bad readings? I'm okay with bad readings I just want to make sure that's all it is

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
Is the sender bad? Like as far as doing its job? Or is it just giving bad readings? I'm okay with bad readings I just want to make sure that's all it is

It's probably just a bad reading. I have owned several 90's jeeps in the 90's and 2000's with 4.0's and all but one of them had bad senders they just were not made that well.

I had 2 94 YJ's one was black one was white. When my black ones oil pressure started reading really high i swapped the sender off my white one and it read normal. Then my 92 XJ did it and i swapped sender and same thing, bad sender.

I never replaced the sending units i just ignored the gauge and they ran for hundreds of thousands of miles.

·
Premium Member
2,705 Posts
Depending on the grade of oil you are using, It is not uncommon for the oil pressure to read high and stay high until the oil warms up a little, you should be mostly concerned that you are getting a steady reading regardless of the pressure value, intermittent flatlining could be loose connection, low oil level, clogged pickup or worse yet, failing oil pump

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, thanks, I'll probably just run with what I have, eventually I'm gonna have to fix the oil leaking problem😂, kind of annoying to have to add oil every 1000 miles

1 - 6 of 6 Posts