Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i got a 2015 jeep wrangler haven't even had my first oil change about 3400km on it and all of a sudden today it started making a high pitch whistle noise when at highway speeds it's an auto rubicon. The weather was -30 today and it was the coldest the jeeps seen so far. At first I thought it was my stereo but turn it off and still happen but as soon as I slow down it stops. I had a 2012 jk and it's seen lots of cold weather and never whistled any one else have this problem and if so what was the issue? Thanks

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Do you have any off-road lights, or anything else mounted on the outside (roof rack, etc)? I had this problem after mounting LED off-road lights on sides of the windshield. The heat sinks at the back of the lights vibrate at super-high frequency and "sing" very loud when going through any crosswind. I put covers over them to make it stop.

·
Registered
25 Posts
2015 JKUHR out of the box top passenger side of windshield had a 1 inch gap in the sealant , maybe the same drunk guy put yours in?

·
Registered
766 Posts
Mine's whistled between 40mph and 60mph since the day it was new. I covered everything up with blue painter's tape (cowl vents, windshield seams, freedom top seams, door seams) and still couldn't make it go away.

Recently I read a TSB somewhere about putting spray foam in the passenger side A-pillar. I might eventually try that.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Mine was leaking a bit of air through the pinch seam just inside the windshield...along the dashboard. The wind noise went away after I applied sealant. Just drive at 40mph and feel for air leaks at the base of the windshield...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sweet yeah I did just put some LEDs on my bumper it's weird tho sounds like it's coming from inside the cab and it didn't do it the first day I put them on but it wasn't as cold but I'm guessing that it is then lights now that you said that what kind of covers did you put on them?

·
Registered
124 Posts
My 2015 starts whistling at 45 mph, from the day it was new. After 55 mph it either stops, or, most likely, the road noise is just louder.

With all the crazy El Nino rains we had in SoCal there was no leak inside, so I just ignore the whistling.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
My 50" and my 24" howled like a banshee until I bought a roll of black door edge moulding and started trial and error on fins to calm it down. So far, I've got it on the bottom and third fin up. Helped tremendously, but not cured... Yet.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
... what kind of covers did you put on them?
It's the back/metal part of mine that are making the noise so regular covers would not work. i ended up getting some old black dress-socks and pulling over them.. Fixed the problem for free and doesnt look bad.. as long as you stand more than 5 feet away.. :happyyes:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Haha sweet I'll have to try it out or try rigging up something outa black plastic. so far it's only done it when it's -30 Celsius.

·
Registered
147 Posts
When I was test driving my new 2015 JK for two days before buying it drove "normally" the first day. However, the morning of the second day was a different story....the wife and I were driving to breakfast and starting at about 50 mph the most god-awful "sound" - louder than a whistle...more like a train horn...began (winds were strong that morning) and as speed increased the sound was almost unbearable inside the cab. I have a 50" LED Rigid light bar installed, so the first thing I did was get out and rotate the bar downwards a tad. After a few stops and trial adjustments to the bar....no whistle or train horn at all now. The wind was ramming through the fins on the light bar, creating the sound. Once I found the sweet spot for the light, no further adjustments or mods needed. So...check the angle of your light bar first...might be a very simple fix. Best of luck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone yeah I'm positive it's the lights but for how I got and where I have them mounted it's perfect for where there aiming but it only did it the one day but it was unbearable I couldn't believe it haha.oh well for now it fixed its self if it happens again and keeps going I can try and fix it then.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts