Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some ARB Differential covers I want to put on my DANA 44s Seems very straight forward. However If I am going to replace the fluid I might as well use the best.

what do people think is the best fluid and will I run into any problems swapping to say a ROYAL PURPLE MAX?

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Me, I fn hate royal purple. I am biased though. I used it in my TJ NV3550 trans and when I checked it I found it was all full of tiny air bubbles. Never had that with Pennzoil Synchromax, so went back to that. Haven't touched RP since and won't.
I use Valvoline 80w90 without anti slip additive. Looked almost brand new from rear diff after 25k, front looked the same as brand new after 25k.
Can't see a reason to use anything different.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,760 Posts
Torco RGO is one of the best nonsense gear oils on the planet.

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
95,820 Posts
In hot as hell Arizona, I use Lucas synthetic 75w90 front and 75w140 rear. I have resided in AZ., for 47 years, and have never had a diff failure.

Reactions: Jay2011JK and Bobnh

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
Nothing better than Torco RGO 85-140 GL-6.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Amsoil FTW.

·
Vendor
2,906 Posts
47 years there!??!!?
Man I checked out after 20 years LOL
(I didn't have much of a say as a kid, my parents feed me though and said "Go play with the snakes and palo verdes" )

In hot as hell Arizona, I use Lucas synthetic 75w90 front and 75w140 rear. I have resided in AZ., for 47 years, and have never had a diff failure.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Check out Amsoil severe Gear 75w90.. I found a Study of Automotive Gear Lubes a yr back and in all the tests it scored the best.. btw the test covered 15 items.. The Gear Lube with the BEST Test Result was assigned a 1.

Reactions: Pressurized

·
Super Moderator
16,311 Posts
Reactions: deepbluerubi

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK .... I went with Mobile 1 75W90 and this is my reasoning.... I can get it from amazon by Friday. I will switch to the AMSOIL when I regear the jeep in August. I have the gears now just not the time. so the mobile at half the cost of the AMSOIL should be fine for a few months . Its a 2015 I have had since new and its got 35K on it... so i'm not worried about the miles on the Mobile 1

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I want to confirm a few things, primarily that I am supposed to wash the gears in break cleaner...
this seems counter intuitive to me as I do not want to leave behind a residue that will break down the new gear oil .

is it correct to wash the gears ?

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I want to confirm a few things, primarily that I am supposed to wash the gears in break cleaner...
this seems counter intuitive to me as I do not want to leave behind a residue that will break down the new gear oil .

is it correct to wash the gears ?
Brake cleaner flashes like a mf. Wait a few minutes and it will all be gone.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Anvil JKUR Hard Rock.
26 Posts
Is it OK to use the Mobile 1 gear oil with the Limited Slip Friction modifier in it ?
It will be fine. You dont need it. As Rubicon diffs dont have limmited slip disks. Nice anvil HR. My carbon copy. Mine is running Amsoil.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
OK .... I went with Mobile 1 75W90 and this is my reasoning.... I can get it from amazon by Friday. I will switch to the AMSOIL when I regear the jeep in August. I have the gears now just not the time. so the mobile at half the cost of the AMSOIL should be fine for a few months . Its a 2015 I have had since new and its got 35K on it... so i'm not worried about the miles on the Mobile 1

I would use the oil recommended for the new gears by the manufacturer or the installer. I used Redline on my stock gears last change. They make it with or without the modifier.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts