Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help. I think my Jeep is trying to kill me! I have a manual 2015 JK very close to a year old. 11,900 miles.
Here's what is happening:
Yesterday on my way home from work I went to shift from 4th into 5th gear and touched the gas slightly and I felt as if my Jeep was going to speed up CONSIDERABLY. This startled me so I took my foot off the gas and it KEPT ACCELERATING, slowly! I threw the brake on and it slowed down to normal but things didn't feel right. Got home ok. Tried again today and while shifting from second into 3rd, hit gas pedal slightly and Jeep did not accelerate much but RPMs quickly began climbing toward 6000!!!!! I quickly put in in neutral and shut off the vehicle.
I feel like I'm driving "Christine". Like my JK has a mind of its own.
Has anyone had this happen? Does anyone have any ideas? My poor sunset orange wrangler is being towed to dealership,as we speak. 馃槗

Registered
I went to shift from 4th into 5th gear and touched the gas slightly and I felt as if my Jeep was going to speed up CONSIDERABLY. This startled me so I took my foot off the gas and it KEPT ACCELERATING, slowly!
Assuming no user error, that sounds like some sort of unintentional acceleration due to the electronic/computer system (possibly faulty pedal sensor, faulty throttle body sensor, or similar).

while shifting from second into 3rd, hit gas pedal slightly and Jeep did not accelerate much but RPMs quickly began climbing toward 6000!!!!!
And this sounds completely unrelated, like a slipping clutch. 6000 rpm in 3rd gear should be up in the 70-90 mph range (depending on tire size, axle ratio, etc). If you were going much slower than that with rpms quickly climbing that high, then your clutch was slipping (or tires spinning without traction, etc).

I'm interested to hear what problems the shop finds.

Registered
5th gear and touched the gas slightly and I felt as if my Jeep was going to speed up CONSIDERABLY.
Now I question your observations. A Wrangler cannot accelerate very quickly in 5th gear, even at full throttle :)

Please clarify what you mean by it "felt" as if your jeep was "going to" speed up considerably. The wording implies that it did not actually speed up considerably.

Premium Member
+2 on a bad clutch engagement

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Assuming no user error, that sounds like some sort of unintentional acceleration due to the electronic/computer system (possibly faulty pedal sensor, faulty throttle body sensor, or similar). And this sounds completely unrelated, like a slipping clutch. 6000 rpm in 3rd gear should be up in the 70-90 mph range (depending on tire size, axle ratio, etc). If you were going much slower than that with rpms quickly climbing that high, then your clutch was slipping (or tires spinning without traction, etc). I'm interested to hear what problems the shop finds.
I share findings when I hear from the dealer. Thanks for your input!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now I question your observations. A Wrangler cannot accelerate very quickly in 5th gear, even at full throttle :) Please clarify what you mean by it "felt" as if your jeep was "going to" speed up considerably. The wording implies that it did not actually speed up considerably.
Regarding today's incident above, The vehicle didn't actually go to the speed of corresponding RPMs. Jeep kind of lurched forward like it was going to accelerate quickly - while the RPMs drastically started climbing up. RPMs were climbing quick so I just threw it in neutral immediately and turned off ignition. It happened so quick!
Same thing happened to the dude who came to put it on the rollback to take to dealer. He went to pull it up to start winching it and the RPMs went up crazy while the jeep really lurched forward. He got out white as a ghost and said "you've got a serious issue".

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A friend of mine told me she and her husband had a similar problem with their non-Jeep vehicle when new and it turned out to be some kind of speed control module. Time will tell I guess.
I know sometimes there are glitches but It concerns me that something like this is happening when I haven't had the Jeep that long. Pretty much all highway miles. Very easy off-road trails no hard use.

Registered
I agree with Pickles. If by chance there's a problem with the clutch disc you're covered under 1 yr. or 12K miles. If part or all of the problem involves that you just made it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well in case anyone was wondering....according to dealer who gave both husband and I the complete runaround all week, Problem was not duplicated and all diagnostics were clear. Both husband and tow driver called to back me up since it happened to them as well.
What's suspicious to me is that once my husband started asking more detailed questions about what was checked, service people said they'd get a manager to return his call but no one has. And our inquiries go to voice mail. We had to arrange pickup tomorrow thru a salesperson who is friends with my husband and who helped me order the Jeep last March.

The incident was NOT user error. The dealer came out and asked if my heels got stuck in the floor mat causing it to push up against the gas pedal. Um, no.

I love my Jeep but disappointed in my experience and kind of afraid to drive it.

Hopefully this was a fluke incident, no accidents will take place and I'll live to keep Jeepin' on.

Registered
I'm curious what the outcome of your situation was. I have a 2014 Jeep Sahara Auto tran that did the same thing. I have had it in to the dealer 3 or 4 times over the last 2 years for the same issue. They keep saying it is fixed, but it never is. It is a 2nd car so it doesn't get driven often. Only has 5000 miles

Registered
Problem was not duplicated and all diagnostics were clear.
One theory from someone who has diagnosed a lot of stuff like that and through the computer screen.....

The one thing that occurred to me is that the cruise control could have been engaged? Were you perhaps using that? Normally, there is a clutch switch so the cruise should disengage the moment you hit the clutch but if yours is bad or perhaps out of adjustment and inadvertently not depressed all of the way it won't break the circuit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts