Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a bunch of high steer talk, but it always ends up being on SOA. What about SUA? I like the idea of the WJ setup as I like to stay with factory style things as much as possible. I'm going to build the D30 eventually and was thinking about getting a spare to build then just swap it all in as once. I started down the rabbit hole of needing new Tie Rods, then looking at HD stuff to replace it with, then came across a WJ article as it would put bigger brakes in the front too.

I just scored a '95 brake booster and plan to go 8.8 at the same time this is happening.

Currently running RC Extreme 4.5" with 33x12.5x15. Build concept is 2nd vehicle, built for trails.

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
The WJ set up is higher than the stock YJ setup but the tie rod is not high steer it's only the drag link. I dont think anyone makes true high steer for the D30 because why would they? WJ parts are cheap i thought about using the WJ setup on my D30 before i decided to get rid of it they are stronger.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I did the tie rod flip kit on my D30. My suggestion is to not buy the kits you see on amazon or eBay, reason being is you need three bushings and the kits come with two so you still have to buy the third. Second reason is that they do not have a slit cut into them. The slit makes them self tightening as you torque the nut down. Expand into the hole. Just buy three terraflex ones like this.

I did this not for clearance but to correct tie rod roll and bump steer I had from the RE 4.5 lift springs. As you can see in the before and after pictures below.

https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/teraf...MI87zpnNTC5QIVd__jBx0EUgIlEAQYCyABEgIRRvD_BwE

Attachments

·
Registered
197 Posts
If you really want to build your D30 into a somewhat strong axle it can be done. Yes there are high steer setups for the D30. Reid Racing makes flat top knuckles for the YJ and TJ D30's. But good lord you have to replace everything but the housing. EVERYTHING!!! including your wheels. Better have a good bank account too. I suggest doing your home work and add up everything you need to convert your D30 to a real hi steer. Use The junk yard as much as you can. Rock auto for prices etc. Look at places like Partsmike.com. Also go look at ECGS. Then go find a D44 and build it for less.

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
If you really want to build your D30 into a somewhat strong axle it can be done. Yes there are high steer setups for the D30. Reid Racing makes flat top knuckles for the YJ and TJ D30's. But good lord you have to replace everything but the housing. EVERYTHING!!! including your wheels. Better have a good bank account too. I suggest doing your home work and add up everything you need to convert your D30 to a real hi steer. Use The junk yard as much as you can. Rock auto for prices etc. Look at places like Partsmike.com. Also go look at ECGS. Then go find a D44 and build it for less.

Reid Racing quit selling flat top knuckles for the D30 i looked into it 2 years ago when i was swapping to a D44 and did not know which knuckles to run and ended up going old school D44 C's. The bad thing about the YJ D30 is the cast axle disconnect housing makes trussing it about impossible.

If i were going to build a D30 i would use a non disconnect high pinion D30 out of an XJ and truss it. But then you start thinking about locking hubs and then the price of building a D30 begins to get as expensive as buying a D44.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts