Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have this and can provide feedback? Specfically about the way it mounts to the body.

I am looking for an affordable way to carry skis on my 2 door w/ soft top and this looks like it might fit the bill. I don't want the standard hitch mount racks because I want to be able to open my tail gate. Any affordable spare tire ski racks out there? I haven't found any.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Check this thread out. The product that I was posting about actually has a pin that you can pull out to make it pivot back and down so that you can open the tailgate. I got mine a while back on clearance, so I don't know if they're still available, but post the link if you find it. It's pretty sweet. Can hold a ton of skis/snowboards/bikes.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/hitch-racks-72324.html

·
Vendor
5,688 Posts
BadAndy: That product is new enough that you might not get any consumer reviews. So I'm going to give you mine: It's the greatest thing EVER! It's inconceivable that any Jeep owner has a Jeep without one! You should buy two!!!!!!!

OK, maybe I'm a -little- biased by my paycheck.

Let me try again:
The rack is an answer to a tough question: How can you do an overhead rack without drilling into the Jeep, or without needing bars going to the frame or windshield?

The OverHead Rack from Bestop does it with a "clamping" mechanism. We put a bar on the inside and outside of the tub, and run the bars up from that. This works, but has limits: you can't put a ton of weight on it. Skis and snowboards? Should be just fine. Gas cans? Maybe not so much.

There are two other drawbacks to this design: one, you need to snip the soft top canards (the little plastic wings that tuck into the Jeep tub). This does not cause problems, but some people just don't wanna do it. Two, the Jeep limits how far apart you can spread the overhead bars. It's a short vehicle! So make sure your rack will fit.

The positives: with no drilling, and a good price point, you get a rack that can be easily removed, easily adjusted, and works with a variety of rack accessories out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErmM1iv6cMo&feature=player_embedded

·
Registered
66 Posts
BadAndy: That product is new enough that you might not get any consumer reviews. So I'm going to give you mine: It's the greatest thing EVER! It's inconceivable that any Jeep owner has a Jeep without one! You should buy two!!!!!!!

OK, maybe I'm a -little- biased by my paycheck.

Let me try again:
The rack is an answer to a tough question: How can you do an overhead rack without drilling into the Jeep, or without needing bars going to the frame or windshield?

The OverHead Rack from Bestop does it with a "clamping" mechanism. We put a bar on the inside and outside of the tub, and run the bars up from that. This works, but has limits: you can't put a ton of weight on it. Skis and snowboards? Should be just fine. Gas cans? Maybe not so much.

There are two other drawbacks to this design: one, you need to snip the soft top canards (the little plastic wings that tuck into the Jeep tub). This does not cause problems, but some people just don't wanna do it. Two, the Jeep limits how far apart you can spread the overhead bars. It's a short vehicle! So make sure your rack will fit.

The positives: with no drilling, and a good price point, you get a rack that can be easily removed, easily adjusted, and works with a variety of rack accessories out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErmM1iv6cMo&feature=player_embedded
Should I assume that this product will not work with a hard-top?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I have it on my jeep, its great. It doesnt hold alot of weight, but enough to get your cooler, toolbox, and backpack outta your jeep for more room. Yes it will work with a hardtop. It fits to your vehicle in the mounting spot of your spare tire holder. You just remove your spare tire holder, put the rack in place, replace the spare tire holder, and bolt it all up. I give it a 4/5. Its worth the 200 bucks.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
ncossey said:
I have it on my jeep, its great. It doesnt hold alot of weight, but enough to get your cooler, toolbox, and backpack outta your jeep for more room. Yes it will work with a hardtop. It fits to your vehicle in the mounting spot of your spare tire holder. You just remove your spare tire holder, put the rack in place, replace the spare tire holder, and bolt it all up. I give it a 4/5. Its worth the 200 bucks.
Heres a pic

Attachments

·
Vendor
5,688 Posts
ncossey: That's the Bestop Modular Rack System. That one is cool because you can out it on the tailgate, or in the back of the Jeep hanging from the rollbar. The disadvantage of that rack is that it's designed just for those baskets - you can't connect bikes or ski racks to it.

The overhead rack is round tubes that go up and over the Jeep, and allow you to connect anything to them: that basket, for example, or a ski holder from Yakima, maybe.

·
Vendor
5,688 Posts
The Bestop overhead rack will NOT work with a hardtop. The clamp system would make your top sit up about half an inch.

There are some decent solutions for lightweight racks that attach to hardtops (not from us).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Geoff, thanks for the feedback, this looks like it would work perfectly!

One question: I have a Thule overhead ski rack now on a different vehicle. Do you know if they make a clamp kit yet to fit those tubes? If not, what is the diameter of the tubes?

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I really like the looks of that rack. Are there any Oregon dealers I can go look at it in person?

·
Vendor
5,688 Posts
Jake: It's a new product, hard to display, and (to be honest) not super hot seller. So it may be difficult to find one on display. I'd hit up our list of oregon dealers, and start calling. If you're in Portland, start with Central FourWheel Drive.

Andy:
Thule racks are square tube and this is round tube. BUT it's the same diameter as Yakima tubes, and I'm fairly certain that Thule components will fit a Yakima tube with an adapter.

In addition, double check the minimum spread of whatever rack component you're using. Some bike racks won't work, because they need to have the bars further apart than you can get on most Jeeps.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ordered from Quadratec yesterday, I'll post up some pics once it's in an installed. Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
BadAndy - How is this working as a ski rack for you? I have an 09 soft top and considering the HighRock 4X4™ Overhead Rack. What ski rack do you attached to it? Can you post pictures?

Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts