Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, another newbie question... I have an 89 YJ, 4.2, 5 speed, Weber conversion, HEI dist.
I have tons of torque in town, but when I'm in 5th gear on the highway, I have a tough time keeping my speed up, and passing somebody is pretty much out of the question. I haven't checked the timing yet, and I don't have much experience with Webers. I do get some pinging when I stomp on the gas, I have tried running higher octane fuel and get the same results but less clattering. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
My 89 4.2 5spd. had the same power loss problem and it was a clogged cat. When I replaced it all of the power it originally had came back. I also had a problem with pinging, but when I replaced the distributor it solved the problem. I also tried premium gas but that didn't work. I'm running a stock distributor. With your set up I would check the timing you might be too advanced. I would eliminate a bad cat.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2.5" lift, 31" tires. Nothing major, stock gears, Dana 30. When I got this Jeep last week, he said the chain in the t-case had been removed. It is locked in 2 wd. That's my next question / project:, doing a 231 j gear conversion and losing the chain all together.
I'll fill out my signature soon so everyone will have a better background for my issues. Thanks, Sonny

·
Registered
47 Posts
Premius Gas will only help with engine knock.

Or, if you have a PCM tune that is tuned to Premium.

·
Registered
798 Posts
If the power loss is intermittent, try removing the vacuum line from the EGR valve & plugging it with a screw.

·
Registered
787 Posts
If you are pinging when you stomp on the gas then your timing is off and that will also effect your top end. You are too far advanced.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I checked the cat, it was gutted, and all the guts were rattling around in the stock muffler. That gave me a good excuse to put on a flowmaster, sounds awesome!. Leaned out the carb a little, changed out the springs on the distributor arms. Now it runs much better on the highway, and when I slow down, I don't smell that funky unburned gas smell. So, changing my timing curve seems to have fixed the problem. Now I picked up a ProComp 16 inch electric fan. Gonna put that in if it ever stops raining here! The PO had taken the thermostat out of the Jeep, I have heard mixed reviews on what temp I should put in. What is the general consensus? 180? 195? The automatic thermostat on the fan is supposed to be 180 on, 170 off I think. Will that work with a 195 thermostat??
Thanks again for all the tips!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts