Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's very annoying to me, and I don't like having to give it extra gas to get going from a stop light. I've had manual transmissions my whole life, and until I learned what was going on with the Jeep, I just thought it was a tricky clutch or something. If I go off-roading and have the Jeep on an incline, I can see how it would help in a touchy situation, but it's definitely not for me in traffic. #DISABLED# What about you guys?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have an automatic and the hill start assist is turned on. How do I know when it is active? Is there a light? Does it even apply with an auto transmission?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Once I figured out its timing, I like having it. First week with the jeep after an almost fifteen year break from driving stick, I thought I didn't know what the heck I was doing - issues on every hill start. Then I read about HSA on the forum (my salesman hadn't mentioned it and I hadn't received my manual yet) - made me feel a lot better that I wasn't an idiot! Embraced the timing and like the feature.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
I have an automatic and the hill start assist is turned on. How do I know when it is active? Is there a light? Does it even apply with an auto transmission?
If it's not disabled it's on. Auto trans JK's have it. There's no light. 8% incline for an auto, 3% for a manual for activation. I have a manual YJ and a manual JK. I like it on the JK so I keep it enabled. It's personal preference.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Okay I am so confused. I have an auto and I thought it was only to maintain low speed on steep declines. Is it a different thing completley or same?
From the 2015 Manual:

Hill Start Assist (HSA)
The HSA system is designed to assist the driver when
starting a vehicle from a stop on a hill. HSA will maintain
the level of brake pressure the driver applied for a short
period of time after the driver takes their foot off of the
brake pedal. If the driver does not apply the throttle
during this short period of time, the system will release
brake pressure and the vehicle will roll down the hill. The
system will release brake pressure in proportion to
amount of throttle applied as the vehicle starts to move in
the intended direction of travel.
Hill Descent Control (HDC) — If Equipped
HDC is only intended for low speed off-road driving.
HDC maintains vehicle speed while descending hills in
off-road driving conditions by applying the brakes when
necessary.
The symbol indicates the status of the Hill
Descent Control (HDC) feature. The lamp will
be on solid when HDC is armed. HDC can only
be armed when the transfer case is in the “4WD
LOW” position and the vehicle speed is less then 30 mph
(48 km/h). If these conditions are not met while attempting
to use the HDC feature, the HDC indicator light will
flash on/off.
When enabled, HDC senses the terrain and activates
when the vehicle is descending a hill. HDC speed may be
adjusted by the driver to suit the driving conditions. The
speed corresponds to the transmission gear selected.
Gear Approximate HDC Set Speed
1st 1 mph (1.5 km/h)
2nd 2.5 mph (4 km/h)
3rd 4 mph (6.5 km/h)
4th 5.5 mph (9 km/h)
DRIVE 7.5 mph (12 km/h)
REVERSE 1 mph (1.5 km/h)
However, the driver can override HDC operation by
applying the brake to slow the vehicle down below the
HDC control speed. If more speed is desired during HDC
control, the accelerator pedal will increase vehicle speed
in the usual manner. When either the brake or the
accelerator is released, HDC will control the vehicle at the
original set speed.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I turned mine off shortly after getting my Rubi and haven't missed it. Learning to work around it was annoying. Besides, that is part of why the parking brake is mounted where it is on Jeeps. Grab a hand full of brake if you need it on a steep hill. Then let it off as you ease out the clutch.

I can see how it could be useful for a new driver with a stick in San Francisco though. But what is the point with an automatic?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Once I figured out the timing, i.e. the first time, it was not an issue. Honestly, is this that big of a deal? Mine's enabled. Helps on the trail too.

·
Registered
657 Posts
On my 2008 manual I HATED it. HATE HATE HATE! I ran with it disabled.

With the 2015 auto tranny I started with it off but turned it on a week or so ago. So far I have not noticed it good or bad.

It sure seems pointless with an AT but ... whatever.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Been driving a standard pretty much most of my life so it seemed pointless, never needed it before so I disabled it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have it on, and have been driving a manual since I was allowed to.
It just holds the rear brakes for about .5 seconds...it's nice when having to stop on a hill while in the dirt, and don't want to lose your ground on that specifically placed boulder.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Here is how to turn it off for those of you that don't want it. I have it off on mine when I'm home, but I'm going to school in a really hilly city so I keep it on in Morgantown.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I have an automatic and I just left mine turned on. No reason to turn it off. Besides, my car also has it. It's a common feature in newer vehicles.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts